sports men's soccer

Teams hopes to start new streak at Michigan

Eriq Zavaleta wasn’t phased by that three-game losing streak.

The freshman helped snap IU’s losing streak with the lone goal in its win against Butler. He and his team jump right back into Big Ten play when they visit Michigan on
Saturday.

The No. 18 Hoosiers (7-3-2, 1-1) are looking to start a new unbeaten streak. The rest of Indiana’s season includes four of its final six games against Big Ten
opponents.

For IU Coach Todd Yeagley, strong defensive play has helped the team turn around after a three-game losing streak.

“Our team defending has been solid, and we are limiting the good quality chances,” Yeagley said.

The play of Zavaleta has led the Hoosiers to victories. His offensive output places the freshman second on the team in scoring with five goals, one behind senior Alec Purdie. Despite being a freshman, the Westfield, Ind., native hasn’t seen a huge learning curve.

“He’s (Zavaleta) doing great out there for us,” junior goalie Luis Soffner said. “He’s got a big body. He holds the ball really well for us. We know he can get on top of the ball when he needs to, and he’s capable of scoring when we need it.”

The key to the offensive punch this season has been the two-headed monster of freshman-senior duo Zavaleta and Purdie, who have combined for 11 goals and 26 points to pace the offense.

On the defensive side of the ball, Soffner’s goal has rarely been touched. During the three-game losing streak, the junior goalie gave up six goals, but in the nine other contests, he has surrendered only four goals.

“We had a streak of shutouts and we were feeling a little confident, and then in two games we gave up five goals,” Soffner said. “Some of them were good goals, and in the last two games against Creighton and Butler, our defense was really solid. We’re back playing the way we were. Hopefully, we can keep going forward.”

While the win against Butler gives the Hoosiers confidence heading into their visit with the Wolverines, Soffner said he knows every match in the Big Ten is going to be tough.

“Every team, no matter what their record is in the Big Ten conference, they bring it,” Soffner said. “It’s always a battle. This win gives us a little momentum going in.”
When Zavaleta looks at his team, he said he sees a confident bunch, and he doesn’t think the past struggles will have any effect going forward.

“We’re ready to get it on and get another unbeaten streak going,” Zavaleta said. “We haven’t lost any confidence. We felt we were a bit unlucky and we’re a force to be reckoned with.”