Running back Darius Willis not yet declared ineligible

IU football player Darius Willis didn’t break any NCAA eligibility rules when he performed at a professional wrestling event Sept. 24, the IU Compliance Office said.

Last week, IU Coach Kevin Wilson was asked whether Willis’s performance — at the Infinity Pro Wrestling event held at the National Guard Armory — was an NCAA eligibility violation.

“I don’t know,” Wilson said, pursing his lips. “That’d be something for compliance to ask, which would be interesting.”

Ian Rickerby, IU’s assistant athletic director for compliance, said he would be happy to answer questions about Willis’s eligibility. Before an interview could be scheduled, Associate Director of Media Relations Jeff Keag told the IDS that Rickerby would respond to questions by e-mail and to send Keag all questions which he would pass along to Rickerby.

As to whether or not Willis’s performance at the pro wrestling event is against any NCAA rules, Rickerby responded “As of this current time, no.”

The IDS also asked whether Willis’s appearance violated Part 1 Section 2 a2 and a3 of the Summary of NCAA Regulations for Division I athletes, which state:

“You are not eligible for participation in a sport if you have ever (2) Agreed (orally or in writing) to compete in professional athletics in that sport. (3) Played on any professional athletics team as defined by the NCAA in that sport.”

Rickerby’s email response to the question was “No — different sport.”

The NCAA did not respond to an email by deadline as to the definition of “competing in a professional athletics sport” and “playing on any professional athletics team.”

Infinity Pro Wrestling contact Don Lechien confirmed that Willis had not been paid for his first pro wrestling appearance.

Keag declined an IDS interview request with Willis. Coach Wilson said last week that Willis is likely done playing for the rest of the season due to his injury.

Willis is scheduled to appear at another Infinity Pro Wrestling in November.