Inebriated man allegedly breaks into WonderLab, steals stuffed river otter

Scott Shake, 28, was arrested early Friday morning after allegedly breaking a window at WonderLab, The Museum of Science, Health and Technology, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Steve Kellams said. He also said Shake allegedly stole a stuffed river otter.  

Kellams said BPD officers responded to WonderLab late Thursday night because the museum’s security alarms were sounding. After their arrival to the museum, officers could not identify anything out of the ordinary.

When a WonderLab employee went to the museum at about 4 a.m. Friday, Kellams said the museum employee reportedly heard the sound of shattering glass. Police arrived to the scene a second time and found two people — Shake and 21-year-old Chelsea Delker — in the Chase Bank parking lot close to the museum.

Police also found the river otter in the parking lot, Kellams said.

According to Kellams, Shake admitted to jumping a fence to get into the WonderLab facility. However, he denied breaking a window to gain entry into the building. He also admitted to stealing the river otter from the window, Kellams said.

Kellams said Delker told police she was not near Shake when he allegedly broke into WonderLab. However, she also reported hearing the sound of broken glass.

Shake is being charged for the burglary of a business — a felony — public intoxication and criminal mischief. Delker is being charged for public intoxication.

According to WonderLab Marketing Director Louise Schlesinger, the crime caused unnecessary expenses to a nonprofit organization when money is already tight.

Because of the shattered glass in the area, Schlesinger said several other stuffed animals will need to be replaced.

At about 11 a.m. Friday, two WonderLab employees delivered a bundle of museum tickets to BPD. These were given as a token of appreciation to the officers who responded to the museum to investigate the sounding security siren.

“It was a nice thing to do,” Schlesinger said. “We’re a nonprofit organization. Sometimes people like a ‘thank you’ in that form.”

According to Kellams, the stuffed river otter has been returned to its natural habitat.