Hoosiers topple Michigan, fall short of Texas

Result:
The women’s swimming and diving team (2-2) traveled to Ann Arbor, Mich., on Friday for a double-dual meet against Michigan and Texas, defeating the Wolverines 178-122 but falling to the Longhorns, last year’s No. 6 team in the nation, 165-133.

The Action:
In the diving competition, sophomore Laura Ryan dominated both the 1- and 3-meter dive competitions, winning both by a combined 96-point margin. It is the first time in her career she has won both events in the same meet.

While Texas won five of the first six swimming events Friday, the Hoosiers’ first win of the day came in the 100-yard backstroke when freshman Justine Ress won her first career race in a time of 55.57. The Hoosiers garnered only one other win in the pool, with senior Margaux Farrell’s second consecutive 100-yard freestyle victory. However, multiple second- and third-place finishes were not enough to topple Texas, which won nine of the 16 events on Friday.

Key Play:
After trailing Texas’ Karlee Bispo by .35 seconds at the half-way mark in the 100-yard freestyle, Farrell, who had lost a close friend the previous night, came back and won the race by .06 seconds.

Notable Number:
Five, the number of races in which the Hoosiers finished in second place behind either Michigan or Texas.

Up Next:
The Hoosiers will travel to State College, Pa., on Nov. 18 to 19, for another double-dual meet against Penn State (1-0) and Virginia (1-0). Both finished last season ranked in the top 25.

Quote of Note:
“Our girls had a wonderful attitude and great spirit. They fought hard, but we just need to do a better job at being prepared to swim at the level to be a top-five team in the NCAA.”
IU Coach Ray Looze, IU coach