Django now to offer live jazz music each weekend

Downtown Bloomington Café Django has become not only a restaurant but also a venue for jazz performance.

The café, located across the street from the Monroe County Public Library at 116 N. Grant St., now features musical performances every weekend, which had been its goal during 14 years of business.

Owner Linda Eversoll said when she first took control of with her husband last year, the café only featured music twice a month or so.

“We were surprised how much talent is in Bloomington,” Eversoll said. “Musicians started coming to play here because of how nice they thought our acoustics were.”

The restaurant and venue is mainly a jazz bar, but Eversoll said all musicians are welcome to play there. Pianist and IU student senior Tom Miller has played at Café Django but now works there as a waiter.

“Playing here is very mellow and relaxing,” Miller said. “I usually play for the evening dinner crowd.”

Eversoll said she believes getting to hear good music and enjoy the atmosphere is a good reason for young people to work at the café.

Employee Chelsea Parkilla has worked there since May and said she enjoys the relationships she forms with the customers.

“I feel like the customers here expect to be able to converse with the servers and not to have a dismal experience,” she said. “A lot of really interesting people come here.”

Parkilla also stressed the quality of the food, which she said is some of the best food in town for its price range.

Eversoll said she has already booked gigs through April 2012.

Eversoll said she doesn’t want people to forget that the café’s main attraction is still
its cuisine.

“I want this place to be known by the food and for people to enjoy the talent,” she said. “I like when the food is good and the music is good.”