Confessions of a compulsive cleaner

Freshman Caitlyn Burke cleans something in her room in Eigenmann Residence Center every day. No wonder she calls herself the maid of her floor.

Caitlyn Burke

The room is split into two sides, each incredibly clean. Computers lie in the middle of the desks, and there isn’t a piece of paper out of place. Two containers of Lysol sit atop the closet, with a travel-size bottle sitting on the desk. Beds are made, and perfume bottles are lined up just so. This is how Indianapolis native and nursing major Caitlyn Burke likes her room. Clean.

How would you describe a compulsive cleaner?

Well, I’m a germaphobe. I Lysol everything. I don’t like germs.

When did you start becoming a compulsive cleaner?

I’ve always been a germaphobe and have always had to have things a certain way.  I guess I have always kind of been like this.

How often do you clean your room?

Whenever I see dust. Whenever a bug lands on something, I have to Lysol it. I have to clean it. I usually clean every Sunday. I clean my mirrors, pictures, everything that’s touchable. The microwave, fridge, door knobs, light switches. The top of my desk gets dusty a lot, so I have to clean that.

How do you deal with sharing a dorm bathroom?

At first, I was legit really mad. I wanted to have my own apartment, I wanted to have my own house. I wear my shoes and don’t touch the walls. I try to keep it normal so people don’t think I’m weird. I know all the girls on the floor, so that makes it better.

How do you deal with having a roommate?

I was actually supposed to have a single, but because there are so many freshmen I have to share. But her side of the room is always clean, too, so it worked out really well. I love my roommate.

What about parties?

I actually left a party last night because it was so gross. Sweaty people were touching me. The bathroom door didn’t lock. I had to leave.

Are you only compulsive when it comes to your room, or is it toward everything?

My food can’t touch. My closet is in order. I have my tank tops, T-shirts, long sleeve shirts, then jackets.

Do you think you got the compulsive gene from your parents?

My mom is also kind of like that. She cleans everything. I definitely think I got it from her.