City council candidate's 2007 arrest for biting, kicking police officer may pose problems for her campaign

As the Bloomington municipal election date draws nearer, candidates across the board are utilizing the last few weeks to draw voter attention to city issues. In the case of Jennifer Mickel, though, the spotlight is turned in the other direction, bringing focus to a situation that ultimately led to Mickel’s arrest after she bit and kicked a police officer in 2007.

Mickel is running for a spot on the Bloomington City Council as an at-large candidate.  
“I am certain that you know that I am an animal lover,” Mickel said in a recent campaign video announcement.  

On June 25, 2007, Mickel and her two dogs made their way to a Bloomington coffee shop. As Mickel waited inside, the two dogs, tied to a tree outside the shop, allegedly bit passerby Jay Buchanan-Carter, who called the police.

Bloomington Police Department Officers Randy Gehlhausen and Donald Pence arrived on the scene to find Buchanan-Carter and the owner of the coffee shop waiting outside near the dogs.  

Gehlhausen made his way into the coffee shop to locate Mickel and then led her to the scene. At the time, Mickel obliged the officer’s directions and followed him, although she insisted her dogs “don’t bite.”

After Mickel told Pence that she was unable to provide proof of immunization, she was informed that the dogs must be quarantined in an animal control facility until their health could be validated.

“You’re not going to take (my) dogs to those murderous people,” Mickel said, according to court documents.  

Mickel began to untie the two dogs from the tree and make her way toward her van. The officers told her that if she failed to further comply with their instruction, she would be arrested.

“My dogs wouldn’t bite anybody,” Mickel said as she placed the dogs in her van.     

Pence attempted to handcuff Mickel. She began to “flail and twist her arms” so that her hands could not be placed behind her. She then shoved Pence. Gehlhausen grabbed Mickel and attempted a take-down maneuver. The two officers and Mickel fell into a grassy area near the van.

With Mickel burying her hands underneath her, Gehlhausen attempted to pry out one of her arms. Mickel then bit Gehlhausen. The now-prospective councilwoman at-large kicked Gehlhausen in the chest and groin while he was continuing to free her arms.

Mickel was charged by the state with resisting law enforcement as a Class A misdemeanor. She stood trial, and the jury found her guilty. Mickel was sentenced to 10 days in jail.

She appealed the decision to the state Court of Appeals on the grounds that she did not believe that her actions constituted resisting law enforcement. The court rejected her appeal.

Gehlausen and Pence declined to comment on the case for this story.

Attempts to contact Mickel for comment were left unanswered.