Paul Rudd anchors ‘Idiot’-proof comedy

Idiot Brother

A leading man who would use the expression “geez louise” instead of the F-word is foreign to us in the movies.

Ned of “Our Idiot Brother” proves a character doesn’t have to be a silly man-child to be free of cynicism, snark, bitterness and charm. Discovering Ned’s ability to survive in the real world (and similarly in the movies) of negativity and deceit is the appeal of this loving and warm indie comedy. That’s because “Our Idiot Brother” is not a film about Ned’s growth but about his sisters’.

Ned (Paul Rudd) enters into the lives of his three sisters (Zooey Deschanel, Elizabeth Banks, and Emily Mortimer) after he charitably, but unwisely, sells a uniformed cop some marijuana.

His sisters take him in as he tries to get back on his feet after a short bout in prison. Along the way, they label Ned an idiot because he doesn’t seem to live in the real world. But we realize Ned is living in the world we should live in.

Is Ned an idiot because he’s the only one not faking his sincerity? The people who are really blind are the sisters, who are likable but don’t share Ned’s honesty, lack of hidden agendas, trust in others or budding optimism.

Paul Rudd anchors the title character’s playful amiability with down-to-Earth realism. Ned’s hippie goodness and faith in humanity are made less of a broad caricature by Rudd’s patented ability to perform naturally and with authenticity.

His genuine charms shuttle us through an intelligent character comedy, free of too many sight gags and raunchy one-liners. This is a film that finds a way to get a laugh out of a line like “Trust me, I’ve been another candle,” and feels somewhat modern and edgy while doing it.

But since Ned practically functions as the plot device that will guide his sisters’ growth, perhaps their character developments are spread too thinly across three people.

Deschanel, Banks and Mortimer all deliver equally personable performances and have strong chemistry with their respective romantic partners: Rashida Jones, Adam Scott and Steve Coogan. The strength in all three, however, makes me question the potential of focusing more on just an individual.

“Our Idiot Brother” is a warm, good-hearted comedy that does more than just employ characters who avoid cynicism. They are characters who are glad to make us happy and leave with a smile.