Meet Bomba Estèreo

bomba

“Blow Up” is an appropriate title for Bomba Estéreo’s most recent full-length album because the band’s sound is an explosion of hip-hop, looped electronica and Latin influence.

The Colombian party rockers will end their three-year world tour at the Lotus World Music & Arts Festival, and they said they hope their music spreads their South American culture stateside.

Guitarist Julian Salazar said Bomba Estéreo’s music is inspired by the wide variety of global styles they’ve heard throughout their lives. To him, their sound mixes the best of rock, electronica and Colombian folk music, such as cumbia.

“For all the people that come to our concerts and buy our album, we let them know that we in Colombia have our own style, and we do it our way,” Salazar said.

Anyone going to the show can expect a dance-happy setting anchored by band leader and multi-instrumentalist Simón Mejía and the nasal rap vocals of Liliana Saumet.

Salazar says Saumet’s goal in her songwriting about love and relationships is to always be truthful. But her lyrics are never intended to get in the way of the upbeat anthems.

“We want to be more electronic while still trying to maintain the spirit of the Colombian and Latin rhythms,” Salazar said.

But Indiana is a long way from Colombia, and although the band members have few to no expectations of what a show in the Midwest will be like, they said they’re still looking forward to performing.

“Every show we do, we try to deliver, and when we know we’re in a different place, we want to do very well,” Salazar said.