Hoosierettes hope for approval

They’re the new kids on the block, but they’re hardly at a disadvantage.

The Indiana Hoosierettes is a new pom-style dance team on campus. According to its official statement to the IU Athletic Department, the Hoosierettes formed in 2010 with its first group of girls coming together in the 2011 spring semester.

Senior and team captain Brittney Little began the team, which had a low turnout in the first season, boasting only six dancers by the end of the year.

According to Little, the other 11 schools in the Big Ten Conference have a pom-style team.

“(Brittney) did a lot of research and met with people from the athletic department,” senior Hope Collins said. “The biggest issue that year was funding, and the athletic department was not able to provide funds for the team. Some   local businesses were willing to sponsor, but unfortunately it was not enough to order uniforms and poms for an entire team.”

The girls’ junior year, last spring, was the first year enough funds were raised.
Team members said they are willing to work to be recognized as an official athletic team. They sent a petition and mission statement to the athletic department this fall, emphasizing that they can coexist peacefully and well with other dance groups on campus.

Though they have yet to hear back from the athletic department this year, Little and Collins said they are not discouraged.

This year they had nearly 100 interested girls at the student involvement fair. More than 40 girls showed up for the informational call-out meeting and 37 auditioned.
Though they did not enjoy making cuts to the team, members said it was a promising luxury that showed how much the team had grown.

Collins explained how they raised interest and awareness of the group.

“We set up a spot at the student involvement fair,” she said. “We went around with sidewalk chalk, writing information for anyone who missed us at the fair.”

Sophomore Kendall Smith said she discovered the group through her desire to be
involved on campus and show school spirit.

“I didn’t have any dance experience, so I was really nervous for tryouts,” Smith admitted. “But Brittney (Little) really encouraged me. I went, and it seemed really fun.”

The Hoosierettes practice Mondays and Wednesdays from 7:30 to 9:00 p.m. in the racquetball courts in the School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation. They have performed and will perform at events such as the Homecoming Parade, the Bloomington Farmer’s Market, club sporting events and charity events. This year they will have a tailgate for the IU vs. Purdue game.

“For the most part, I want to emphasize that we are not trying to step on any toes,” Little said. “When this team goes to events, we cheer on not only the sports or people in the events, but the cheerleaders and Redsteppers that take so much time out of their week to support our teams.”

Collins was adamant in her belief that they must gain recognition.

“We have a great group of girls this year, and I am so excited to see them perform. The Hoosierettes needed to prove that they are serious, and they have done just that,” Collins said. “This is an opportunity for the athletic department to do something new and exciting because IU does not have a team like this. The athletic department can no longer ignore the Indiana University Hoosierettes."