Hollinden plans for more

Sometimes a professor’s forte doesn’t exist just within the classroom walls. When you’re a Rock and Roll History professor, that can even mean taking your know-how to the stage.

Andy Hollinden took the stage at Bluebird Nightclub once more Saturday night.

He and his band barreled through a few rock hits, some they hadn’t performed since Hollinden’s regular “semester shows” began four years ago.

Among these were “In Memory of Elizabeth Reed” and songs from Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon” album.

“By the end of the night, we had definitely settled into a groove,” Hollinden said. “No one really plays at their best in the beginning of the first set.”

Hollinden said the band’s performance can be attributed to how long they’ve been playing together and their camaraderie.

“They don’t just play like a few guys that got together and learned a few songs, but rather as an ensemble,” he said.

The area near the stage of the Bluebird was packed with fans reaching out to Hollinden. But the rest of the bar remained mostly empty.

“When people go out and party all day and then go to a football game, they don’t seem to really want to go out drinking afterwards,” Hollinden said.

However much competition there was with the athletic department, the Bluebird was still able to draw a lively crowd that was one of the best that Hollinden said he has seen thus far.

“The crowd might not have been that big, but it was definitely off the hook,” Hollinden said. “It was one of the most responsive crowds we’ve ever had.”

Tim Lukasik, who works security for the Bluebird, said the Hollinden shows always bring a diverse crowd to the bar.

“There was a good mix of parents and students tonight,” Lukasik said. “Most of the students are in Andy’s class or have a friend in his class. He really introduces an atmosphere of live music for the kids. He doesn’t fake his playing. I give him props
for that.”

Senior Andris Jurevis has seen Hollinden twice and said he enjoyed the “crazy party atmosphere” each time.

“It’s cool that he does Rolling Stones stuff,” Jurevis said. “He does what he teaches in class and plays the guitar well for someone his age.”

Hollinden, however, said he would like to start focusing on his own music.

“I want to start working on Operation Original Music,” he said. “I want to start experimenting with my own music again. I have a fear that people will start to think that all I do are covers and Pink Floyd stuff. It’s not what I’m about.”