sports golf

Delta Gamma golf event allows amateurs to play with PGA professionals

Sophomore Sophie Hayashi of the IU women’s golf team had one specific job at the IU Golf Course Friday: hit mulligan shots for amateurs.

Members of the IU men’s and women’s golf teams were positioned at every par-three and par-five tee boxes to help the amateurs at the Spikes for Speakers Golf Classic, which benefitted the Delta Gamma Lectureship in Values and Ethics.

Hayashi said she wanted to make sure everyone was having a good time and hopefully get some of the amateurs in the fairway.

“It was awesome,” Hayashi said. “I just met Fuzzy Zoeller, who’s a living legend, and he said I had a nice shot, so it’s been pretty incredible. It was also really cool to meet some IU all-stars. They’re the best players to come through the program.”

Among the IU golf legends participating in the pro-am event Friday were US Ryder Cup team participant Jeff Overton, 2003 PGA Championship winner Shaun Micheel and 2003 Pennsylvania Open champion Steven Wheatcroft.

The professionals were paired with foursomes that provided donations to the lectureship.

Overton played the par-71 course with a group of sponsors for the event, helping them read their putts and enjoying his time back in Bloomington.

“We might not win, but we’re still having fun,” Overton said. “It’s cool that it’s not just me. There are a lot of people who are Indiana affiliated and want to give back to a good cause. Having the Wilson’s throwing an event down here for us with this good group of guys from the tour is great.”

Four-time PGA TOUR champion Mark Wilson and his wife, Amy, president of the PGA TOUR Wives Association, hosted the event and recruited their professional friends to take a break from their season to play in Bloomington Friday.

Amy Wilson, a Kelley School of Business graduate and Delta Gamma alumna, said she wanted to bring excitement and big names to IU, providing students the opportunities she had when she was in school.

“We hope to partner with other speaker series, whether it be with Union Board or the School of Journalism Speaker Series in years to come,” she said.

Senior Andrew Frandsen and his foursome was paired with 2009 Kodak Challenge champion Kevin Streelman.

He said it was neat to see how the professionals played golf, and that they are
normal guys.

“You see them on TV all the time, but it was cool to put a personality to a face,” Frandsen said.

Other than playing with the best, Frandsen said as a student he was able to appreciate the time and donations people gave to the event.

“Even though I get to play, people are donating the money, and I have the opportunity to see the benefits because I enjoy going to see the guest speakers,” Frandsen said.