In three short years…

I can clearly remember moving into Teter Quad three years ago and being overwhelmed by the world around me.

Suddenly, I found that I could plan my own schedule, eat anything I wanted in Wright Quad food court, go to the gym whenever and wake up at 7:45 a.m. for an 8 a.m. class in the Kelley School of Business.

Now, looking back, I can say that in three years there have definitely been some changes on campus and around the world.

The crossword puzzles in the Indiana Daily Student were my only option to get me through those boring K 201 lectures.

I had no Twitter, no Facebook, no smart phone and definitely no iPad to pass the time. Today, it would be hard for me to imagine life without them. 

The gods did not favor IU Athletics during the last three years, with the exception of soccer and swimming.

In ’08, Tom Crean was new to the scene, ready to rebuild our beloved basketball program.

This last spring, we finally got a new football coach, Kevin Wilson, and hope of actually winning a few games.

And it seems our fortunes may finally be looking up with the addition of recruits like quarterback Gunner Kiel. 

In the last three years, we’ve seen “Avatar,” “Hangover” and “Hangover II” and the sun finally set on the Harry Potter series with the release of “Deathly Hallows.” In primetime, we saw the last of Oprah and great shows like “LOST” and “24.” 

Across the nation, we witnessed history with the election of President Barack Obama in fall of 2008.

In three short years, we’ve managed to kill Osama bin Laden, lose our AAA bond rating and experience a  global recession.

Across the globe, we have witnessed the Japan earthquake and tsunami, the Arab Spring and the final days of Gadafi’s regime in Libya. 

Whatever happens in your four years here, IU provides each of us a different story to tell and a chance to see the world.

Involvement in student government and a campus political group has given me a number of opportunities and relationships that will last a lifetime.

I have had the chance to study abroad in Germany and the United Kingdom and to travel to Israel and Bulgaria.

However your story may end, make sure to enjoy the things that are essential to the full Hoosier experience.

These must include football tailgates, basketball games in Assembly Hall, late night walks back from Kirkwood Avenue and many more.

My advice is get involved early this semester in a few things that you are curious or passionate about. There are clubs and activities that will cater to your needs.

So, in closing, to the class of 2015, be ready to grab your North Face, put on your Sperrys, tweet from your iPhone and enjoy the next four years — they will be the time of your life.

­— cjcaudil@indiana.edu