IU to gain new off-campus sorority in fall

Chapter to appeal to women more hesitant to join Greek community

The greek community will see the addition of its 20th sorority this fall when Theta Phi Alpha begins recruiting for its IU chapter.

Theta Phi Alpha will be an off-campus option for women interested in going greek at IU.

Panhellenic Association Vice President of Recruitment Laura Walker said the ultimate goal of expansion is to get more women involved in the IU greek community. She said providing a new chapter will attract different types of women, particularly those who may not be interested in living in a chapter house.

“We understand that living with so many women is not appealing to everyone, so this way we are giving them another option,”
Walker said.

Junior Grace Bergmann said she agrees having an off-campus chapter available to women will be a positive step within the greek community and that she plans on participating in TPA recruitment.

“I feel like it will be for people with other interests, but still want to be a part of greek life,” Bergmann said. “Everyone will be involved in different things already, so you might have an opportunity of other things to get involved in.”

Women interested in participating in recruitment for the 2011-12 academic year can attend Greek Opportunities for Women.The informational meeting will take place at both 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 2, in Alumni Hall at the Indiana Memorial Union.

Along with potential new members, many women in the greek community said they support the decision to expand and are looking forward to welcoming the new sorority. Karlie Hubbard, membership vice president for Alpha Xi Delta, said she believes the addition of Theta Phi Alpha will have a positive impact on the greek community.

“I think it’s going to give women’s recruitment a more positive image,” Hubbard said. “It’s really going to open up a lot of opportunities for girls who think that the greek community isn’t for them.”