Get to know your administration: IU’s big 4 defined

MICHAEL A. MCROBBIE

The IU administration is made up of 117 administrative offices and services, all of which carry out a different task. With so many departments, it’s hard to distinguish who is who.
These are IU’s top four administrators, and here’s what they can do for you.

President Michael A. McRobbie

McRobbie was appointed as IU’s 18th president on July 1, 2007, by the IU Board of Trustees.

As the president, McRobbie is responsible for all of IU’s eight campuses, which has an approximate total budget of $2.7 billion, more than 16,000 faculty and staff and about 100,000 students. 

McRobbie, a native of Australia, received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Queensland and his doctoral degree from Australian National University.
To contact the Office of the President, call 812-855-4613 or visit www.indiana.edu/~pres/.

IU Provost and Executive Vice President Karen Hanson
Hanson has been working at IU since 1976. She first worked as a faculty member in the Department of Philosophy, then as the chairwoman for the philosophy department. She was later named dean of the Hutton Honors College before finally being appointed provost.

“The provost is the chief academic officer,” Hanson said. “The campus schools report to the provost and so do the student affairs office, along with the various academic auxiliaries.”

The Provost office is located in Bryan Hall Room 100 and her email address is provost@indiana.edu.

Dean of Students Harold “Pete” Goldsmith
Goldsmith was named dean of students in 2009 after overseeing student affairs and enrollment at Kent State University. He received his undergraduate and doctoral degrees from IU.

“The dean of students leads the Division of Students Affairs,” Goldsmith said. “We provide direct support services for students, try to remove barriers for students and provide programs that enhance students’ educational experience.”

The Dean’s office can be found in the Indiana Memorial Union, and the phone number is 812-855-8187.

Associate Vice President for University Communications Mark Land

Land will take over for Larry MacIntyre, who will retire June 30, 2011. Land had previously worked as executive director for corporate communications at Cummins Inc.
The Associate Vice President for University Communications works as a liaison between IU and the media to give out information. He also speaks for the University on questions relating to policies, the president and the Board of Trustees.

To contact the Communications office, call 812-856-1172.