Family requests more volunteers to help search for missing woman

Missing Girl

Those interested in helping with the search can meet in front of Smallwood Plaza at 455 N. College Ave. Monday, June 6 at 10 a.m., 1 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.

The Hillel Center has set up a website to track information about this case at iuhillel.org.

Lauren Spierer has been missing since 4:30 a.m. Friday. She is a 20-year-old white female, 4 feet 11 inches tall. She has blue eyes and long blonde hair.

She just finished her sophomore year at IU. Spierer studies fashion merchandising and was a University Division scholar.

She planned to stay in Bloomington for part of this summer to take a course at Ivy Tech before starting an internship at the clothing store Anthropologie in New York City. Her parents and older sister live in New York.

Spierer was last seen walking south on College Avenue from 11th Street on her way back to her apartment in Smallwood Plaza, located on College Avenue. She did not arrive to her apartment and video footage does not show her entering the apartment complex.

Spierer was wearing a white tank top with a loose, light colored button shirt over it and full length black stretch pants. She was not wearing shoes.

According to her mother, Spierer has a life-threatening heart condition called Long QT Syndrome. Spierer’s mother has asked that if anyone knows where her daughter is, to please take her to the hospital.

Family and friends set out from Smallwood Plaza at 10:30 a.m. this morning. They have checked all construction areas near the apartment complex.

Police officers have searched the area several times, including a search with a police K-9 unit. They have also spoken with businesses, construction crews and residents in the area.

Anyone with information about Lauren Spierer should call BPD at 812-339-4477.

— CJ Lotz