Young set to compete despite Cat-2 races

Despite the fact that Eric Young has ridden in multiple Category 2 races, which normally goes against IU Student Foundation rules, he remains eligible to compete in Saturday’s Little 500 race, said IUSF Little 500 race director Pam Loebig.

This is not the first time his eligibility has been questioned. This time, the dispute was about whether two track rides during the summer of 2009 would deem Young ineligible for this year’s men’s Little 500 race because of his professional rider status.

In February, Young was photographed on an official team ride with the BISSELL Pro Cycling team. However, according to IUSF and the Cutters, Young has not signed with a professional team, which would make him a Category 2 amateur. In USA Cycling, a Category 2 rider is considered a semipro.

In race records from www.truesport.com, a cycling website whose goal is to provide information on cycling races to riders, Young is listed as riding as a Category 2 rider in two separate races.

IUSF’s Little 500 Rules of Eligibility Section II.I state that a student with no cycling experience prior to attending IU can participate in the Little 500 and can upgrade to a Category 1 or 2 rider for only a year.

Young filed his appeal to be a Category 2 rider on the track and a Category 1 on the road for his final race after the 2010 Little 500.

USA Cycling confirmed Young’s current category status. It also acknowledged that track races can often be informal.

As for the Little 500, Young will race Saturday.

The first race that put Young’s status for the Little 500 in question occurred on July 17, 2009, when Young rode in the Major Taylor Velodrome Hot Summer Nights Series in Indianapolis. That night, Young was listed as racing in a Category 1/2/3 men’s race, meaning riders from all categories combined to race. He rode in a Category 3 men’s eight-lap scratch race and is also listed as riding in the Category 1/2 men’s race.

Loebig was there that night. She said Young’s riding in the Category 2 race does not cause him to be ineligible for this year’s Little 500. Ken Nowakowski, coach of Delta Tau Delta and race director of the Indianapolis races, said Young’s race was not an official upgrade but an invitation that the race has given to riders — men, women and junior — during the past 13 years.

“The field at Major Taylor is not that great at times,” Nowakowski said. “It can be very lean at times, like a low amount of participants. Anyway, he got the nod from me saying, ‘If you want to ride in it, you’re welcome to do so.’ Nothing more than an invitation. Nothing having to do with any kind of an upgrade. Just a provisional invitation. That was it. Just for that night, for that moment only.”

However, on Sept. 18-19 in 2009, Young raced again in Indianapolis at the Major Taylor Velodrome College Prep Racing.

The race records show that Young finished second in the Men’s Category 3 200-meter Time Trial. Young is also listed as having competed in the Men’s Category 1/2 12-lap Scratch Race. He was not listed under the Men’s Category 3/4 10-Lap Scratch Race.
“That one does look a little funky, doesn’t it?” Nowakowski said. “At that point, he would have probably asked me if he could have ridden it.”

Nowakowski’s book of notes of the races he’s directed no longer has the 2009 results or the notes listing which Category 3 riders he might have told could ride in a Category 2 race, if any. Regardless, he said Young didn’t break any rules.

“It’s allowed if I say it is,” Nowakowski said.

That summer, Young rode in four races as a Category 2 rider, all at the Major Taylor Velodrome in Indianapolis. According to Major Taylor Velodrome USAC Track Category Upgrade Policy, a Category 3 rider will automatically upgrade to Category 2 with a minimum five race days and 25 points.

The race results could not be found on the USA Cycling website, and Young could not be reached for comment.

“Eric does not hold a pro license until he signs on the dotted line for a pro license,” Nowakowski said. “He hasn’t done anything shady behind the scenes. He’s good to go. The problem we have here is Eric is just too dog-gone good.”