Two-time Trooper of the Year realizes childhood dream

Trooper

Growing up, Indiana State Police Trooper Kent Rohlfing said he always knew he wanted to be a state trooper.

After three years as a trooper for the Bloomington District, Rohlfing was presented with his second Trooper of the Year award.

He was one of 13  troopers recognized for work in their respective districts across
the state.

Rohlfing received the award during a ceremony March 29 at the Indiana State Police Post in Indianapolis.

“We got a lot of good guys at the post who make a big difference in the community,” Rohlfing said. “It’s a pretty big honor to even be nominated.”

Nominees are selected based on who has the highest performance in criminal/DUI arrests, traffic arrests and police services such as giving people directions or helping someone change a flat tire, Rohlfing said.

Rohlfing said his favorite part of his job is helping the public.

“I like making a difference in people’s lives and also protecting them from people who aren’t doing the right thing,” Rohlfing said.

The hardest part of the job is being away from his family, Rohlfing said. He works the night shift, which lasts from 6 p.m. to 3:30 a.m., but if an emergency arises he can be on call as late as 5 a.m.

“It’s hard working when most people are off. You end up missing different things with your family,” Rohlfing said.

Despite the late shifts, Sgt. Brad Ayers said Rohlfing is always reliable.

“We know he’ll complete any assignment we give him,” Ayers said. “He does what he’s told and does it well.”