‘Thomas and Friends’ rolls into IU auditorium

Thomas the Musical

There is a formula reporters use when interviewing people at events, but this particular crowd took some encouragement.

A blonde boy dressed in a Thomas the Tank Engine costume stood in the lobby holding his mother’s hand.

His mom, Jessica Pritchett, introduced the boy as Max. When asked how old he was and why he loved Thomas, a blank and confused look grew on his face. Before long, Max retreated to the familiar arms of his mother.

“We chose Thomas to be Max’s first live performance because he loves everything about the TV show,” Pritchett said. “I think he’s seen every episode.”

Monday night’s performance of “Thomas and Friends” was the first child-oriented show to pass through the auditorium in almost two years, Events Manager Maria Talbert said.

Pritchett and her husband are both IU alumni and current Bloomington residents. Pritchett said she was excited to return to the auditorium with her son.

“My husband and I used to go to shows here all the time,” Pritchett said

.“Thomas Saves the Day” is a show that encouraged children to interact with the characters within Thomas’ fanciful world.

Audience members worked with Thomas and his friends to help repair a lighthouse that was damaged during a storm just in time for the town’s Magic Lantern Festival.

The Pritchetts’ reasoning for making “Thomas Saves the Day” their child’s first live show wasn’t far off from most other attendees last night.Though new to Bloomington, resident Rosann Sturm heard wonderful things about the IU Auditorium.

She decided to bring her grandson Ciro to experience the show .

“This was the perfect opportunity to enjoy a night out with my family,” Sturm said. “And I know Ciro is very excited about seeing Thomas in person.”

Talbert said the auditorium is looking to add more shows like “Thomas Saves the Day” to next year’s season.

“We always try to incorporate family-oriented shows into our schedule,” Talbert said. “The auditorium is very excited to welcome children into the world of performing arts.”