Swing music to light up MAC

big band

Conductor Brent Wallarab promises this year’s annual Big Band Extravaganza: For Dancers Only will leave audience members dancing in the lobby.

The extravaganza has been a musical tradition at the Jacobs School of Music for almost 30 years and has always featured two virtuosic big bands. For this performance, Wallarab and fellow conductor David Baker have decided to add professional dancers and a projection screen to this year’s show.

“I can speak from experience that playing this music for dancers brings a whole different level of energy than just performing it in a passive concert setting,” Wallarab said.

The performance begins at 8 p.m. Saturday at the Musical Arts Center.
Lead dancer Jon Tigert said he is excited to expose both students and Bloomington residents to the musical art form of the 1930s.

“Jacobs is one of the most well-renowned music schools in the country, but it is very focused in classical music,” Tigert said. “With this performance, audience members will be able to experience true American jazz music and dance.”

Tigert and his fellow dancers will join the two big bands on stage, which will give the audience a representation of what the music was about.

“This music was meant to be presented with dance, so in pairing the two, we hope to make this the most authentic performance possible,” Tigert said.

A screen will project pictures and descriptive information about the original composers.
“For instance, when the band plays ‘Take the A Train,’ the audience will get to see photos of Duke Ellington, composer Billy Strayhorn and Ray Nance, who played the original trumpet solo,” Wallarab said.

Tigert said audiences today are sure to love the music

“This is just sheer entertainment,” Tigert said. “That’s what it was made for.”