‘Hammer and Nail’ constructs solid Buskirk performances

Hammer & Nail

Guests happily lined up in the lobby of the Buskirk-Chumley Theater on Wednesday waiting to witness the marriage of dance and music at the Modern Dance department’s annual production of “Hammer and Nail,” which continues today.

The show was free to the public, but the department requested monetary or food donations for the Hoosier Hills Food Bank. As people made their way to their seats, the theater was filled with the sound of musicians warming up and excited guests chatting about the upcoming performance.

“I love the freedom modern dance has,” audience member Gail Kincaid said. “It gives you a freedom to move your body when you watch it. And the form, the energy — all that makes modern dance great.”

“Hammer and Nail” began in the fall when student choreographers from the IU School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation met student composers from the Jacobs School of Music. Once they were paired, choreographers and composers worked closely together to find the right music and tempo for their pieces.

“It’s been really interesting,” violinist Anastasia Falasca said. “Before this I didn’t know much about modern dance. It’s a lot like ballet, but it’s more intense than I thought. It’s hard core and really great.”

Students composed all of the music, and the senior choreographers designed the lighting cues, costumes, stage setting and choreography.

“I’m looking forward to the lighting and watching the dancers,” audience member Erick Ferrer said. “I’ve never seen modern dance or been to this theater, so I’m excited to see how it turns out.”

As the house lights turned down, the audience grew quiet while waiting for music and dance to take their vows and become one.

“This show is the combination of two different art forms that come together and make something unexpected,” freshman trombonist Kevin Garza said.

As the stage lights turned on, one dancer walked out dressed in white with grace and power. As the music joined her dance, other dancers accompanied her, and the celebration began.  

“Modern dance has a freedom of expression and creativity,” Kincaid said. “With modern dance you can express yourself in all ways. It’s not restricting, it’s freeing.”