men's basketball

Column: Rough 4 years, predictions and Hulls in the record books

men's basketball vs. wisconsin

Worst four-year stretch ever?

While there are no four-year seniors on the IU basketball team, there are plenty of four-year senior students on campus. For those graduating this semester, some may wonder if they endured the worst four-year stretch in the 111-year history of the IU basketball team.

The stretch, which includes Kelvin Sampson’s 25-8 record in his final season, will go down as the most losses in any four-year span in team history. The team has had 73 losses since four-year seniors arrived on campus freshman year. That loss total passes the 2006-10 stretch (65 losses) and 2005-09 stretch (56 losses). The good news for seniors: Unless the team loses less than eight games next year, this graduating class will only have the dubious distinction for one season, as next year’s graduates will likely see the most IU losses.

As far as winning percentage, this four-year stretch is the worst since 1916 — a time when IU played far fewer games per season. The 1912-16 students saw the team post a 17-39 (.304 winning percentage) record. The 2007-11 class has seen IU produce a 53-73 record (.421 winning percentage). The worst four-year span was 1911-15, in which the team had a 17-43 record (.283 winning percentage).

What will happen in Indy?

Predicting the Big Ten Tournament isn’t nearly as fun as filling out an NCAA Tournament bracket, but if this is the only tournament IU will play in, let’s jump right in. Of the three Thursday games, two have NCAA Tournament implications. Michigan State and Penn State can play their way into the NCAA Tournament with a good showing, and Thursday games against the two worst teams in the Big Ten (Iowa, Indiana) are a good start. Both favorites will win.

As for the 8/9 Minnesota vs. Northwestern game, Minnesota has been fumbling away the season, and Northwestern will end it for them.

On Friday, Ohio State rolls Northwestern, Purdue beats Michigan State and an inspired Talor Battle effort leads Penn State against Wisconsin. In a bubble matchup, Michigan’s recent uptick continues in a win against Illinois.

Not to tend toward boring, but Purdue and Ohio State will advance to the finals, where the Buckeyes will secure the No. 1 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament with the title.

Ohio State hasn’t won by less than 19 in its last four games, and it’s a team well-prepared for the postseason.

Hulls sets free-throw record

Lost in the muck of an eight-game losing streak is the fact that sophomore guard Jordan Hulls hasn’t been missing too many free throws this season.

In fact, the last time he missed a free throw was Dec. 11 against Kentucky.

Although the 72-48 drubbing against Illinois might not have been the best time to break a record, Hulls made his 39th consecutive free throw, breaking an IU record set by Pat Graham in the 1990-91 season. Hulls added two more Saturday to extend the streak to 41 and is 52-for-57 from the free-throw line this season.

Understandably, neither Hulls nor IU coach Tom Crean said much about the record after the game. However, it is an accomplishment that is worthy of
recognition.

E-mail: nmhart@indiana.edu