What you need to know about Keb’ Mo’

Keb' Mo'

Keb’ Mo’ was born Kevin Moore in 1951, in South Los Angeles. His parents were from the “Deep South” where the Delta blues originated.

Keb’ Mo’ has received three Grammy awards for Contemporary Blues Albums in 1997, 1999 and 2005.

He has received four more Grammy nominations.

Keb’ Mo’ works closely with Playing for Change, a foundation dedicated to providing resources to musicians and their communities around the world. His songs “A Better Man” and “One Love” are featured on Playing for Change’s CD and documentary.

He has stated that the important thing in life is to get up in the morning and let the inspiration take care of itself, says Playing for Change Founder Mark Johnson.

Keb’ Mo’ regularly plays 10 different guitars during his shows.

“I used to have just one guitar, but I have grown, and I love them all. They all make beautiful sounds and beautiful music,” Keb’ Mo’ said on his website.

He has been featured on shows such as “The Today Show,” “Touched by an Angel,”
“American Roots Music,” “Sesame Street,” “Late Night with David Letterman,” “The West Wing” and more.

Keb’ Mo’ draws inspiration from Robert Johnson, adding his own contemporary twists.
He has played with artists like Willie Nelson, Amy Grant, Buddy Guy, Natalie Cole, Dixie Chicks and Solomon Burke.

He wrote songs for Dixie Chicks, B.B. King, Joe Cocker, Buddy Guy and Robert Palmer.

Keb’ Mo’ participated in the 2004 Vote for Change political movement.

He is a member of the No Nukes group, which is against nuclear power expansion.
His first album came out in 1994. He’s had nine since.

Keb’ Mo’ joined an R&B band at 21 and toured with Papa John Creach.
In 1998, he played Robert Johnson in the documentary, “Can’t You Hear the Wind Howl?”