sports baseball

Hoosier baseball falls in season opener

A solid batting effort wasn’t enough for the IU baseball team Friday in its season opener.

Despite owning an advantage in hits, the Hoosiers allowed Virginia Tech just enough on defense to suffer a 4-2 loss in IU’s first game of the Caravelle Resort Invitational in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

IU finished with nine hits to Virginia Tech’s six, but the Hokies managed to capitalize on early Hoosier mistakes to jump to a lead.

The wheels started to come off in the bottom of the third inning for IU junior pitcher Drew Leininger with his team leading 1-0. Leininger allowed a RBI single and then run scored on a wild pitch.

A two-run home run two innings later by Virginia Tech outfielder Andrew Rash dug the Hoosiers into a hole from which it couldn’t reemerge.

IU gained its only lead in the top of the second inning when freshman third baseman Dustin DeMuth successfully executed a bunt down the third-base line and advanced on-base each of the Hoosiers’ next three at-bats. He scored on the third, a single to center field by sophomore second baseman Micah Johnson.

DeMuth finished his collegiate debut two-for-four with the run. Senior outfielder Alex Dickerson also recorded two hits in his four at-bats.

Dickerson and senior first baseman Jerrud Sabourin registered hits in the top of the first inning and helped IU load the bases, but the Hoosiers came away empty-handed with stranded runners on each base.

-        Drew Allen