Goldsmith discusses greek media relations, public perceptions

Dean of Students Pete Goldsmith took the podium at Wednesday’s Greek Media Training and spoke of Delta Upsilon’s initiation ceremony. And CollegeACB.

His introduction — and the evening that followed — was a lesson in reputations.

“If you want to improve your image,” Goldsmith said, “you have to know all your images.”

Each year, the Greek Media Training Committee puts together a presentation to teach its members how to react and respond to a crisis as well as promoting a positive image across campus.

This year, Dean Goldsmith was on hand to offer advice while the Vice President of Hiron’s and Company Communications Jim Parham led a discussion and lecture about greek image.

Reviewing a recent article about a fraternity shooting in Youngstown, Ohio, the audience discussed what the university and its leaders did wrong when handling the crisis.

They also compared what they would do differently.

Parham called upon audience members, grouped by table, and listened to their ideas about risk management and public relations.

“In crisis management, you all need to sing from the same sheet,” Parham said.
But the focus wasn’t just on risk management.

Promoting things such as honesty, preparation and communication, Parham said there was a lot to celebrate in IU’s greek community.

“There are so many things you do well,” he said, “but no one takes the time to publicize it.”

To lack a plan, he bluntly said, is to be incompetent.

“Create your own publicity. Do something crazy, show some camaraderie,” he said.
Upon the presentation’s conclusion, members talked among one another and discussed their chapters’ publicity plans.

Sophomore Paige Kuklenski, representing Chi Omega, said she thought the evening was enlightening.

“It helps put into perspective the image the greek community can put off and was very informative with ways to help boost the public’s image of the greek community,” Kuklenski said.

Before Goldsmith and Parham concluded the evening, they warned against what to say and when.

Just because a reporter asks a question doesn’t mean it has to be answered.
Tonight wasn’t about how to behave; it was about how to talk about behaving.
“We live in a media-rich environment,” Goldsmith said.