EDGE Awards honor 18 Ind. businesses

Eighteen Indiana businesses were recognized last week for superior performance in the small business sector in 2010.

Lt. Gov. Becky Skillman joined with other business leaders from across the state to present the Economic Development through Growth and Entrepreneurship Awards during a Statehouse ceremony Feb. 9.

Recipients of the award collectively employ 60 full-time associates in Indiana and in total finished 2010 with nearly $4 million in sales.

Indiana Economic Development Corporation Media Relations Director Blair West said the awards have been going on for three years, beginning in 2009.

The Green Nursery was a local recipient of the award. The company is a provider of natural, organic and environmentally friendly products for babies.

The business began on Kirkwood Avenue four years ago and has since transitioned to an online store as well. They sell cloth diapers, toys, baby carriers and many other baby necessities.

“It will help with recognition mostly and probably open some more doors for us,” co-owner of The Green Nursery Scott Noroozi said.

Established and emerging categories were given out to businesses that have been around for a while or those that have just started. The Green Nursery received an award in the established category.

Businesses were nominated locally for the awards by the Indiana Small Business
Development Center staff that works directly with the businesses in each region.

Noroozi said businesses are nominated based on the types of products they make or sell and the amount of growth they have had.

Other local business recipients included Prestige Drycleaners LLC in Martinsville and Deer Ridge Woodcraft of West Terre Haute.

“Indiana relies on its small business community to create jobs and invest in their individual communities even in tough economic times,” Skillman said in a press release. “We’re proud to recognize this group of entrepreneurs who continue to prove that there’s no better place to grow or start a business than Indiana.”