State police warn of unsafe driving conditions in snow

Cars Driving in Snow

Although the snow-blanketed campus could be seen as a winter wonderland, Tuesday’s snowstorm has led to dangerous driving conditions.

The storm has led to slick, icy roadways, Indiana State Police officials said.

“There’s been a significant number of accidents,” said Sgt. Joe Watts, a public information officer with the ISP. “People are driving too fast for the conditions.”

On Wednesday morning, there was an accident involving a semi truck on the Interstate 70 median in Morgan County, according to an ISP press release.

Watts said the primary concern, given the icy roads, is speed. He said police will issue citations to recklessly fast drivers, even if they are not driving faster than the speed limit.

When road conditions are dangerous, he said, state speed laws permit police to ticket drivers who they feel are moving faster than is safe. Specifically, drivers should be able to stop suddenly at the speed they are traveling.

Additionally, Watts said drivers should be prepared to go out, which includes having a well-maintained car, safe tires and a fully charged cell phone before beginning travel.

He said people should only drive if absolutely necessary when there are icy road conditions.

In the press release, Sgt. Curt Durnil, public information officer, warned that bridges and overpasses are particularly dangerous because they freeze more quickly and can remain frozen long after other parts of the road have melted.

It is also important to remember to move out of the way of emergency vehicles and to slow down as they approach, Durnil said.

Sophomore Amy Clark did not experience any problems on her way to classes Wednesday.

“One guy was turning the wrong way on a one-way street, but he was just being stupid,” she said.

Clark said she saw people driving slowly and safely through town.

“I’ve lived in Bloomington all my life, and they do a good job clearing the streets,” she said.

Nevertheless, the state police are pushing caution.

“If it’s slick and hazardous,” Watts said, “drive carefully.”