IU Mini Marathon registration now open to public

Mini-Marathon

Registration for the sixth-annual IU Mini Marathon is now open. The half-marathon race will take place April 2.

Registration for the first 500 participants is $40. Beyond the promotional rate, registration is $50 per person for the mini marathon and $30 for the 5K walk/run. IU alumni, faculty, staff and students will be able to register for $5 less for each event.

Proceeds from the IU Mini Marathon will benefit the Bill Z. Littlefield Scholarship for Survivors fund. The charity provides scholarships for IU students who have survived cancer.

More than 10,000 people have participated in the half-marathon and 5K event since 2006, and more than $100,000 has been raised for the scholarship fund, according to the race’s website.

The scholarship fund was created after Littlefield, a professor in the Kelly School of Business, died of mesothelioma in 2005. After his death, IU alumni Kevin MacCauley, Myles Grote and Samantha Roper created the race to honor Littlefield and his battle with mesothelioma.

For the first time the IU Alumni Association will be organizing the event because of the growing size of the event.

“We knew a time would come when larger IU involvement would be necessary for this event to prosper,” MacCauley said in a press release. “The IUAA is the perfect home for the IU Mini Marathon and we expect great things to come for the university.”

— Nathan Miller