Young wins 9th District

“We won.”

Cheers erupted as Republican 9th District Congressman-elect Todd Young said these simple words to his supporters who had gathered Tuesday to watch the election unfold.

Less than a second earlier, Young was on the phone with his opponent, Democrat incumbent Baron Hill.

“I look forward to working with you in the coming weeks and months,” Young said to Hill. “I look forward to doing some good with you.”

The mood at KRC Banquets and Catering, on South College Avenue, where the Young campaign and its supporters celebrated their victory, had been positive all night.

By 7 p.m., EST, once all the polls in the district had closed, results began to pour in. Young led his opponents in votes throughout the entirety of the evening.

“We’re taking nothing for granted,” Young said.

As more precincts reported their votes, the numbers remained constant. Occasionally, the crowd cheered when another race was called in the Republicans’ favor, but mostly they remained anxious, awaiting the news of whether their candidate had won.

While waiting for the race to be called, Young received a phone call and quickly found a quiet place to have his conversation.

Upon returning, he said it was former President George W. Bush.

“It sounded like George W. Bush,” Young said. “But how would he get my number?”

Young said Bush said he’d been watching the race and called to congratulate him.

Shortly after, Justin Kingsolver, president of IU College Republicans and IDS columnist, hung up his phone and said Fox News had called the race. Young had won, he said.

People screamed. They hugged each other, with tears in their eyes. But Young remained calm.

Though he was noticeably happier, Young said they had to wait for Hill to concede.
When reports began to arrive from other news organizations that Young had clinched the seat, Young and Ryan Burchfield, his campaign manager, began calling Hill.

That’s when the two talked, and Young expressed his desire to work with Hill and his staff to transition.

“I had two speeches drafted tonight,” Young said, addressing all those assembled. “One I call my frowny speech. The other is my smiley speech. Ladies and gentlemen, I’m pleased to report to you tonight that we get our Congress back.”

Young’s supporters, who had quieted to hear the congressman-elect speak, were now louder than ever.

In his victory speech, Young thanked the people who he said had gotten him to that point, including his wife, the rest of his family, Burchfield and a few select campaign supporters he chose to recognize by name.

“They put forth the blood, sweat and tears to make sure we crossed this line,” he said. “They got involved, ladies and gentlemen, so we got it done here tonight.”

Young also recognized Hill, who he said has agreed the two should work together closely in the coming months.

Young said he and Hill share two things: their competitive natures and serving the people of southern Indiana.

He also reminded his supporters not to stop supporting him.

“I’m going to need your continued help,” Young said. “We proved all the pundits and the experts wrong. Now it’s time to prove all the naysayers wrong and turn this country around.”

Young promised to work for those who did not vote for him. He said he wants to earn their support and promised to stand up for the interests of the people of southern Indiana when he arrives at the U.S. House of Representatives.

After he closed his speech and hugged his wife, Young was surrounded by his supporters, who yelled, “That’s our congressman.”

The IU College Republicans were involved in the Young campaign from early on, and the organization’s leadership were among the most emotional in attendance.

“This is the work we put in, and this is what we got out,” College Republicans Internal Vice Chairman Jeff Cummins said. “(I feel) phenomenal. It’s a great night.”

Young’s victory represents a significant shift. The seat has been held by Hill since 2006, and Hill held the seat for three terms prior.

An ideological change will likely also take place.

Hill is the policy co-chairman of the Blue Dog Coalition, a group of conservative Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives. Young, on the other hand, has been endorsed by FreedomWorks and the Independence Caucus. Both are considered to be a part of the Tea Party movement.

“First I have to take care of the nuts and bolts of the office,” Young said.

He said he needs to hire a staff and make it possible for his new constituents to send him letters and feedback, but before that he is looking forward to some time off.
Young said he wants to spend more time with his family during the next few days.

“After that, I’ll do the people’s work,” he said. “Ultimately, there are big issues to wrestle with.”

Young mentioned balancing the budget and dealing with fiscal problems as among his top goals.

For all involved, it was a hard fought battle. Kingsolver said it was the number of volunteers that made a difference.

“And it’s showing,” he said. “No one expected six months ago that Todd Young would be beating Baron Hill.”

But Tuesday night, Young told his devoted supporters, was about celebrating their victory.

“Let’s have some fun,” he said.