Sorority chalks to boost confidence in women

About 70 members of Kappa Delta spent hours working on 19 banners last week — one for each sorority on campus — to help kick off the first annual Kappa Delta Confidence Week.

Erin Sexton, junior and vice president of public relations for Kappa Delta, initiated the new campaign, which used visual signs and chalking to promote confidence in women.

“It’s kind of a small way to make a big statement,” Sexton said.

KD Confidence Week was organized by the women of Kappa Delta. Although the week itself was not a nationally-recognized event, Sexton said the meaning behind it is part of a bigger, national campaign — the Kappa Delta Confidence Coalition.

Because Kappa Delta supports the Girl Scouts of the USA as one of its main philanthropies, promoting confidence among women has been instrumental in the sorority’s philosophy.

“We work with fifth- and sixth-grade girls on building self-confidence and self-esteem because middle school is a really hard time,” said junior Brittany Sutton, Girl Scout chairwoman for Kappa Delta. “The banners were a good way to promote confidence around IU’s campus because, especially with sororities, we sometimes have a negative connotation.”

Kappa Delta also chalked and spread the message throughout campus to send messages to all women to make their day a little brighter, Sexton said.

“I think this has been the start of something great,” Sexton said. “People have been intrigued by it. We’ve gotten a ton of feedback. It’s gotten people talking.”

Sexton said the sorority simply focused on getting the message out and did not raise money or organize any events. Sexton said the women of her sorority are already talking about how to expand the campaign, making it more involved and the message more widespread for the week in 2011.

“I thought it was nice to see the banners,” said sophomore and member of Alpha Omicron Pi Stephanie Kohls. “It shows the greek community is together — each chapter has the same values.”