Republican Dan Coats takes US Senate seat

Dan Coats

The last time two Republicans held Indiana’s U.S. Senate seats was in 1998, but with Republican Dan Coats’ victory against Democrat Brad Ellsworth, the 12-year dry spell has been broken.  

At exactly 7 p.m., two giant screens at the Republic Election Night Party flashed Fox News Channel’s election results with Coats’ victory against Ellsworth.

Murray Clark, chairman of the Indiana Republican Party said Coats’ victory was a huge success for the Republican Party.

“We have high expectations,” Clark said. “The governor likes to say that the voting public always seeks equilibrium. So I think you’re seeing a correction occurring both statewide and nationally, and I really think it’s going to be a good night.”

Senator-elect Dan Coats, spoke at the event about what his election means for Hoosiers and Indiana.

“Hoosiers have every reason to be proud because with your help, we have done our part by turning a U.S. Senate seat from one that is fundamentally supportive of the Obama regime to one that firmly opposes it.”

With his victory, Coats said he plans to force congressional restraint through earmark reform, through a line-item veto and through balancing the budget.

“Tonight we celebrate, but with tomorrow’s dawn come responsibilities,” Coats said. “For me the responsibility is you. Because I’ve been chosen by the people of Indiana to stop reckless spending, to fight for our national security, to fight against a government take-over of health care and to fight for every Indiana job, and that is exactly what I will do.”

The Election Night Party for GOP candidates was at the Grand Hall of the Crowne Plaza Hotel Union Station in Indianapolis.  

Upon arrival at the Crowne Plaza, attendees were greeted with campaign posters for Indiana Republican candidates as well as green “My Man Mitch” T-shirts.  

Although Gov. Mitch Daniels did not run in this year’s election, he came out to support fellow Republicans.

“Indiana and our Party have a lot to be proud of tonight: We have contributed a great new Senator and at least two Congressmen to a new Washington, D.C., and we have elected some outstanding — idealistic public servants to an all-Republican State House here in our own state,” Daniels said.

Daniels also announced a new pro-taxpayer majority had been elected in the Indiana House of Representatives.  

“All that hard work you did, all of the successes we have enjoyed are not the goal — they are the means to an end,” Daniels said. “We are going to bring Indiana a new wave of reform in state government, a new wave of reform in local government, and we are going to finally give the students of Indiana an education system built around them.”  

Even before results were finalized, the atmosphere at the event felt like a victory celebration as guests flocked to the open bar and speakers cranked party jams, including Joan Jett’s “I Love Rock ’n’ Roll,” James Brown’s “I’m a Soul Man” and Tom Cochrane’s “Life is a Highway.”

As results quickly poured in, the Indiana State Republican Party announced the victories of Republican candidates: Representative-elect Dan Burton for the 5th Congressional District, Representative-elect Mike Pence for the 6th Congressional District and Representative-elect Todd Rokita for the 4th Congressional District.  
Rokita, Indiana’s current Secretary of State, spoke at the party about taking back the country.

“Not only did we find Hoosiers that are willing to listen to the adult conversation of living within our means, we’re going to see that this Hoosier State is leading the conversation all across America,” Rokita said. “We intend to bring this adult conversation about living within our means to Washington, to the West Coast to the East Coast, all over the world if we have to.”