Meet your new 9th District Rep.

Todd Young

The last time Democratic incumbent Rep. Baron Hill, D-9th, was defeated by a Republican was in 2004 by less than 1 percent, a mere 1,500 votes.
Tuesday night, Republican Todd Young surpassed the common prediction that Indiana’s 9th District would be a tight race when he defeated Hill with more than 10 percent, 22,754 votes.  

Young is now the 9th District U.S. Representative-elect.
But politics aside, who is Todd Young? The IDS asked Young a few get-to-know-you questions.

IDS What’s your favorite place to get pizza in Bloomington?
YOUNG I’m a traditional here. I like Mother Bear’s — about anything they offer.

IDS What’s your favorite bar in Bloomington?
YOUNG I haven’t had a whole lot of time to visit bars during my time in Bloomington with four young kids. Being a townie is probably different from your Bloomington experience.
But I’ll tell you, my wife and I like to go to a place that was actually our second date together at the Siam House. So typically my version of a bar, in quotes, is getting a Singha at the Siam House with a good entrée.

IDS What are your favorite movies?
YOUNG I’ve got a lot of favorite movies. “Braveheart” is certainly one of my favorites, “The Last of the Mohicans.” I tend to like movies that are dramatic but based in history.

IDS What are your favorite things to do in your spare time?
YOUNG I like running. I like reading, and I spend a lot of time with my family. Really, that’s what I most enjoy doing. So I spend time with my kids. I like sports too. When I have time, I like going to IU soccer games. I take my daughter Abby to them.

IDS What do you look forward to the most when you move to Washington, D.C.?
YOUNG I’m looking to play a part and have a seat at the table as we wrestle with some of the most consequential policy issues that this country has faced in decades.