sports volleyball

IU falls to Purdue in straight sets

V-Ball

The Monon Spike remained in West Lafayette on Wednesday.

The IU volleyball team was swept by Purdue, who took home the in-state rivalry’s trophy for the third straight year.

The Hoosiers lost in three sets by scores of 29-27, 25-23 and 25-18. Purdue has won five of its last six matches against IU. The last time the Boilermakers won in three sets was in 2006.

“They fought harder than us, and they really got the crowd into it,” junior libero Caitlin Cox said.

The Boilermakers played well in front of a record home crowd in West Lafayette.

“We have got to learn how to be a better road team,” IU coach Sherry Dunbar said. “On the road we look like a different team.”

The Hoosiers weren’t able to get the kills when they needed them in the late parts of sets one and two.

“Sometimes in the match, they just got the kills that we needed,” Cox said.

The Boilermakers were led by junior middle blocker Tiffany Fisher with 12 kills.

IU was down for most of the first set but took the lead at 25-24. The Boilermakers responded and took the last five of seven points to win the set.

“They were on attack mode, and we were on defense, all the time,” Dunbar said.
Cox added that the long rallies played a major factor.

“It’s a big point, and it really gave them momentum in the sets,” Cox said.

The Hoosiers did not trail in the second set until the Boilermakers gained the lead at 22-21 and didn’t give it up, winning 25-23.

“I think if you look at both of those sets, Purdue finished them off in the long rallies,” Dunbar said.

Purdue then put its final marks on the evening after leading the entire third set, cruising to a 25-18 win to seal a season sweep of the Hoosiers.

The Boilermakers maintained an edge on defense, earning 68 digs to IU’s 50. Purdue’s serving also might have been more aggressive; Purdue recorded four aces to none for the Hoosiers.

“I thought we were really passive,” Dunbar said. “Tonight, I felt like we just got beat.”

The Hoosiers look to regroup before playing host to No. 24 Northwestern on Saturday.

“We have to come back tomorrow and have a great practice,” Dunbar said.