Football offense readies for stiff test vs. Iowa defense

Last year, Iowa’s defense led the team to an Orange Bowl victory.

Last week, Iowa’s defense led the team to a 37-6 win against then-No. 5 Michigan State.

This Saturday, the Iowa defense rolls into Bloomington to take on the Hoosiers (4-4, 0-4) on Senior Day.

“When you start talking about Iowa, the first thing you think about is Iowa defense,” IU coach Bill Lynch said.

The No. 15 Hawkeyes (6-2, 3-1) have allowed 14.5 points per game this season, good for No. 8 in the nation. Led by a few veterans, Iowa’s defensive momentum from a year ago has carried over into the 2010 campaign.

Iowa senior safety Tyler Sash entered this year with preseason All-America honors from several publications. He is leading a secondary that has intercepted 13 passes in 2010, but none were as special as the interception he had against Michigan State last week.

Sash picked off Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins and had an open field in front of him. Instead of working his way through tacklers, Sash pitched the ball like a quarterback option. Iowa cornerback Micah Hyde took the lateral 70 yards for the touchdown.

It was a play that displayed the athleticism and big-play ability of the Iowa secondary.

In addition to scoring unconventional defensive touchdowns, Iowa has also been able to get pressure from its front four. Senior defensive end Adrian Clayborn anchors a unit that is ranked  No. 5  nationally against the run.

Iowa’s defense reminds Lynch of another Big Ten foe.

“I have great respect for them. They are a lot like Ohio State in my mind,” Lynch said. “Their defensive front is similar to Ohio State’s, in that across the board, all four guys are really really good.”

That would be an unfortunate trip down memory lane for IU senior quarterback Ben Chappell, who had his lowest passing total of the year against Ohio State’s defense. Chappell threw for 106 yards, about one-third of his season average, and he threw two interceptions in the Hoosiers’ 38-10 loss Oct. 9.

However, Chappell will have the benefit of game-planning for Iowa’s 4-3 Cover-2 defense because they have rarely strayed away from their base set.

“That’s one of those things that is a little bit different than what we have had the last couple weeks because they are going to line up and do what they do,” Chappell said. “We just have to get prepared and get ready for a very tough challenge.”

The front four coupled with Iowa’s secondary has been the reason they are No. 2 in the country in turnover margin.

Lynch said he believes that statistic stems from the battle at the line of scrimmage.
“You just have to take care of it,” Lynch said. “They get a lot of overthrown balls, they get tipped balls for interceptions and that’s the trademark of a good zone defense team. But what helps them is they get such good pressure with their front four.”