sports field hockey

Field hockey team ends season with Big Ten Tournament loss

Given the Hoosiers’ inconsistent regular season — they had  a 9-8 record (1-5 in the Big Ten) prior to their Big Ten Tournament match — the IU field hockey team had only one avenue to return to the NCAA Tournament.

IU had to earn an at-large bid by doing something the team has not yet done: win the conference tournament.

The sixth-seeded Hoosiers drew third-seeded Penn State to open Big Ten Tournament play.

On Thursday, IU had an opportunity to extend its season.

Instead, Penn State scored first, getting on the scoreboard six minutes into the contest. The Nittany Lions added a second goal in the 35th minute to take a 2-0 lead into intermission.

Penn State added its third goal of the contest in the 57th minute via a penalty stroke. A fourth goal, again via penalty stroke, solidified a victory for the Nittany Lions.

“We handled the game plan very well,” IU coach Amy Robertson said. “We wanted to press and force a lot of turnovers. On the other side of that, we didn’t take care of the ball well enough to create better attacking opportunities.”

The loss sent a .500 Hoosiers’ squad into the offseason.

Robertson praised the Nittany Lions.

“Penn State’s a great team. They have a lot of speed and a lot of depth,” she said.
She also provided reasons for optimism for next season.

“We graduate four seniors and return a really strong core, along with a great recruiting class coming in,” Robertson said.

IU junior Brenna Moeljadi earned First Team All-Big Ten honors. Junior Corey Brautigam was named a Second Team All-Big Ten selection.