Religious organizations open to GLBT community

Religion and homosexuality: the two have struggled to reconcile for decades, and many gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning students still don’t believe there is a place for them in a spiritual community.

“I feel so out of place there, like everyone’s judging me.”

“Religion is poisonous.”

“I was raised Catholic. Now they all think I’m going to hell.”

These are answers from anonymous users of 321 Gay Teen Chat, a free online chat room, when asked “What do you guys think about religion?”

But GLBT students at IU are surrounded by spiritual communities that would welcome them openly, said Doug Bauder, coordinator for the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Support Services Office on campus.

“The variety of faith communities that are supportive makes this community unique, especially in Indiana,” Bauder said.

George Barna is the founder of The Barna Group, a market research firm which according to their website is a “research organization focused on the intersection of faith and culture” .

The firm recently conducted a survey of GLBT adults that found they are as likely to believe in God as heterosexual adults.

“People who portray gay adults as godless, hedonistic Christian-bashers are not working with the facts,” Barna said in a statement about the study.

Bauder said some students who have never been in a spiritual community that openly accepted them feel cynical about organized religion but that it is grossly incorrect to assume that this applies to all GLBT students.

"It continues to be a major issue for students,” Bauder said. “There is a longing for some people to know that their concept of God loves and accepts them.”

He said it is sometimes difficult for students who were raised in a religion to reconcile their sexuality with their spirituality, but many religious leaders in the community are very supportive and willing to help these students.

Several churches make their support of GLBT students and adults very clear.
“Trinity is a real community that loves and respects all people,” according to the description on Trinity Episcopal’s website.

“We are a GLBTQ Welcoming Congregation,” reads the Unitarian Universalist Church of Bloomington’s home page.

In addition to those that have been historically supportive, Bauder said, many formerly anti-gay organizations are changing their views.

He used the Oct. 11 candlelight vigil as an example. The vigil was meant to remember youth suicide victims, many of whom were harassed for their sexual preferences.

He said members of spiritual organizations on campus that have been against the GLBT lifestyle showed up in support at the vigil. Many were moved to tears.

There are still organizations that do not support GLBT students and adults, Bauder said, but they are rarer in the Bloomington community than in many places.

“I think it’s safe to say that theology is fading,” Bauder said.