Quick scores lead Michigan past IU

Football v. Michigan

Sometimes shootouts do not end up being all they are hyped up to be.

That was not the case Saturday.

Eight plays of more than 20 yards led Michigan to a 42-35 victory against IU in front of a sell-out crowd of 52,929 people.

Even though IU senior quarterback Ben Chappell set records by completing 45-of-64 passes for 480 yards, it was not enough to out duel the Michigan offense.

Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson tallied 494 all-purpose yards, ending the day with three passing touchdowns and two rushing scores. Robinson’s 217 yards on the ground solidified his status as the nation’s leading rusher with 905 on the season.

“He’s number one for the Heisman,” IU senior linebacker Tyler Replogle said. “He obviously is a great player. There’s not much else to be said.”

The Heisman hopeful wasted little time padding his resume in his first career Big Ten start as quarterback.

After Chappell led the Hoosiers to an opening drive touchdown, the Michigan offense took over on its own 24-yard line.

A raucous IU crowd was quickly quieted.

Robinson found a seam on the left side and took off for a 72-yard touchdown on his first carry of the day.

“They came out flying, and I think it caught us off guard a little bit,” IU senior safety Mitchell Evans said.

Just three minutes later, Robinson struck again.

Having already eclipsed the 100-yard rushing mark, Robinson showed off his arm, completing a 32-yard touchdown pass to receiver Roy Roundtree to give the Wolverines a 14-7 lead.

After forcing IU to punt, Michigan took control at its own 19-yard line. On the second play of the drive, Robinson again went back to Roundtree. The duo connected on a 74-yard pass that set up the Wolverines two yards from the end zone.

When the Wolverines appeared ready to take a two-possession lead, Robinson fumbled a botched snap, and Replogle pounced on the loose ball at the one-yard line.

Chappell then led the Hoosiers on a 13-play, 99-yard drive that ended with a 22-yard touchdown run by sophomore tailback Darius Willis to tie the game at 14-14.

The Wolverines then went on what turned out to be their longest drive of the day.

The nine-play, 81-yard drive ended when tight end Kevin Koger caught a three-yard touchdown pass from Robinson. The 3:56 series was Michigan’s only scoring drive longer than two minutes.

After IU tied the game at 21-21 to end the first half, Michigan continued its offensive trend.

The Wolverines scored on the second play in the second half when Robinson found receiver Junior Hemingway on a slant. Hemingway then took the pass 70 yards to the house.

“We made a few mistakes, but (Robinson) is a very good player,” IU junior defensive end Darius Johnson said. “You can’t make mistakes against a team like that. If you do, they make you pay for it.”

Robinson wasn’t the only Wolverine who engineered a long touchdown. Michigan tailback Vincent Smith broke away for a 56-yard score late in the third quarter to put the Wolverines out in front, 35-28.

The touchdown marked the fourth time the Wolverines had scored from 30-plus yards.

Then, the Hoosiers’ defense responded.

On the next three drives, IU allowed Michigan one first down and forced three straight punts.

“I think we finally got used to the speed later in the game,” Evans said.

With the game tied at 35-35 after a 19-yard touchdown pass to Willis on fourth down, the Michigan offense took control with 1:15 to play.

Michigan decided to run the ball, which is uncharacteristic of a team working against the clock. Robinson ran three times, managing to get the Wolverines into IU territory with 29 seconds remaining.

And Robinson had one more big play hiding up his sleeve.

He hung in the pocket and took a shot from IU sophomore defensive tackle Larry Black Jr. as he completed a 42-yard bomb down the right sideline to Hemingway.

Robinson then ran in a four-yard touchdown to give the Wolverines the 42-35 win.

In a game where the Hoosiers won the time of possession by more than 23 minutes, the Wolverines still outgained the Hoosiers 574-568. It was a heartbreaking loss for a team that could not halt the big play ability of the Michigan offense despite matching its potency for the most part.

“It was a different kind of game, in the sense of some of the traditional things like time of possession (don’t always tell the whole story),” IU coach Bill Lynch said. “Big plays today, on their part, won out.”