Q&A with Harry Cherry

Harry Cherry

At 95 years old, Harry Cherry is the oldest living IU football player. Cherry was the No. 11 halfback for the IU football team in 1934, ’35 and ’36. This Homecoming, Cherry is the grand marshal of the parade. Cherry shares his experience with the IDS about being a Homecoming veteran.

IDS Are you excited to be this year’s parade grand marshal?
Cherry At 95 years old, anything is an honor. It’s a great honor to be asked to do this. I’m the only one left out of our team. I don’t know anyone else who is alive, and that’s why they picked me.

IDS How did you celebrate Homecoming?
Cherry I really always enjoyed playing the game. We won every Homecoming game, and we were very happy, so we celebrated. We would get together and eat.

IDS How did your team win every Homecoming game?
Cherry Bo McMillin was our coach. We prepared very well, and that’s why we won. McMillin was a good promoter. He got you fighting mad and ready to go.
IDS Did you stay close with your teammates?
Cherry I miss the members of my team. We used to get together every year, for more than 35 years, for IU vs. Purdue games, because our team tied 20-20 with Purdue.

IDS How is IU football different now?
Cherry I was the 5’9”, 165-pound halfback. That’s a midget now. I get awful excited about the football games now. I wonder what I would be doing. I look at that back fielder who is 240 pounds. They are a lot bigger than what we were.

IDS
Do you wish you could be playing out there?
Cherry At this age, I can’t even think of playing the way they play now. I walked down on the field a couple of weeks ago, and I looked like a midget.