Northwestern downs Hoosiers, 20-17

IU drops to 4-4 overall, 0-4 in Big Ten

football halftime

The Hoosiers and Wildcats came into Saturday’s game boasting the Big Ten’s top two pass offenses.

The defenses, though, were the key factor in the outcome.

“Both defenses played a heck of a game. We both came to play and we were able to shut each other’s offenses down,” IU senior receiver Terrance Turner said. “What more can you say, the game was a defensive battle.”

Senior quarterback Dan Persa led the Northwestern Wildcats (6-2, 2-2) to a 20-17 victory over the Hoosiers (4-4, 0-4) with 212 passing yards and two touchdown passes.

The IU defense was the first to step up, forcing a three-and-out to start off the game.

IU senior quarterback Ben Chappell did the opposite on their opening drive. Chappell led the Hoosiers into Northwestern territory, completing his first four passes for 44 yards.

What plagued the Hoosiers in their loss at Illinois last week came up to haunt them again—settling for field goals in the red zone.

The Northwestern defense made their first defensive stop of the day, holding the Hoosiers on the 5-yard line to force a field goal. A 23-yard field goal by redshirt freshman kicker Mitch Ewald got the Hoosiers out to a 3-0 lead but left points on the board.

“It was when we got close to the red zone that we started to have some issues,” IU redshirt freshman tight end Ted Bolser said. “That is a place that we struggled, in penalties and the red zone.”

Both teams could not muster up any points in the rest of the first quarter. The Hoosiers 3-0 lead marked the first time since the season opener that they held their opponent to a scoreless first quarter.

But the Northwestern offense would not be held for long.

Just over a minute into the second quarter, Persa avoided pressure and found junior receiver Jeremy Ebert in the end zone for an 11-yard touchdown to give the Wildcats a 7-3 lead.

The IU offense appeared to be on their way to answering the touchdown, driving into Northwestern territory. But on a third-and-nine from the Northwestern 43-yard line, Chappell’s pass was intercepted by junior safety Hunter Bates.

Once again, the IU defense was able to hold the Wildcats to a quick punt. Northwestern’s punt pinned the Hoosiers on their own 3-yard line, facing a 7-3 deficit with 6:17 remaining in the first half.

Unlike their last drive, Chappell personally made sure that the Hoosiers offense did not leave the field until six more points were on the board. After marching the offense down to the Northwestern 5-yard line, the Bloomington, Ind. native took matters into his own hands.

Chappell did not get into the end zone in his typical throwing fashion. Chappell was able to roll out of the pocket and break the plane to give the Hoosiers a 10-7 lead.

The touchdown with under a minute left in the first half made it appear that the Hoosiers would be going into halftime with a 3-point lead. But the Wildcats were not content to accept a halftime deficit.

Persa moved the Wildcats all the way down to the Hoosiers 6-yard line with a single tick remaining on the clock. Senior kicker Stefan Demos split the uprights from 23 yards out to tie game at 10-10 heading into halftime.

“I think they’re a good football team and they put together a nice drive at the end of the half,” IU coach Bill Lynch said. “It’s close, it’s a game of seconds. The clock could have run out.”

That field goal would come back to be the difference for Northwestern.
The Wildcats came out firing on all cylinders on offense to start the second half. With a 3rd-and-15 on the IU 30-yard line, Persa showed off his versatility by eluding the Hoosier pass rush and connected with Ebert for a 30-yard touchdown.

Unlike they did in the first half, the Wildcats would not surrender their lead for the rest of the afternoon.

Besides a 39-yard touchdown pass to IU redshirt freshman receiver Duwyce Wilson with 44 seconds left in the game, the Hoosiers were held scoreless in the second half.

It was an offensive performance that mimicked the Hoosiers 13-point effort at Illinois last weekend. On a day where the IU defense held a potent Northwestern offense to 20 points, it was the offensive struggles that told the story.

The loss continues the Hoosiers winless Big Ten season in a game where once again, the Hoosiers came up a few plays short of a win.
“I’m not second guessing,” Lynch said. “The plan, the effort and the preparation came up three points short.”