sports volleyball

Former basketball player transitions to volleyball team

Enterline, V-Ball

Sophomore Lindsay Enterline was recruited to play basketball.

After two years under coach Felisha Legette-Jack, Enterline joined the school’s volleyball team in August.

Enterline, who redshirted last season due to a knee injury in the preseason, now plays outside hitter for the Hoosiers’ volleyball team.

“I knew this was going to be the same competition level and the same intensity, but I thought this would be more beneficial for my body,” she said.

Enterline said she had other reasons as to why her switch would be an easy one to make.

“They have a great program with coach Dunbar being a great coach, and there are some really good teammates,” Enterline said.

In high school, Enterline was a four-year letter winner in basketball, volleyball and softball.

“Around my senior year, I thought about playing volleyball in college,” Enterline said, “but by then I already committed to playing basketball.”

Enterline is far from the first women’s basketball player to switch sports.

Four-year IU basketball player Whitney Thomas played volleyball in 2009 as a graduate assistant, taking advantage of an NCAA rule that allows athletes a fifth year of eligibility to play one season of a different sport. 

But Enterline will have more than two years to develop her volleyball game whereas Thomas could play just one season.

Enterline said the two sports are connected in certain ways.

“I feel like there is a lot of similarities between the two,” Enterline said. “Blocking, jumping and still have to give it your all on every play.”

Volleyball coach Sherry Dunbar said Enterline’s experience in another competitive team sport would help her transition well to volleyball.

Dunbar said she appreciates how Enterline brings fans from women’s basketball to volleyball.

“I think that she’s a great face for volleyball,” Dunbar said. “She’s from Indiana, and people know her from basketball.”

Dunbar attributed Enterline’s being a great teammate to her personality.

“Lindsay is one of the most positive, hard-working kids I’ve been around for a long time,” Dunbar said.

Junior setter Mary Chaudoin agreed.

“She’s a player that strives to get better every day,” Chaudoin said.

Although Enterline has only started one game this year, she has been supportive in watching the team’s performance during matches.

“Even when you are on the sidelines, you are the extra set of eyes watching how they are playing,” Enterline said.

Dunbar has high expectations for Enterline because of her work ethic.

“Spring will be a huge time of year for her to learn technique, work on weight lifting and just get things together,” Dunbar said.