sports field hockey

Field hockey team still looking for first conference win

After the Hoosiers dropped their third Big Ten contest to Northwestern last Friday, the players had a meeting prior to facing UC Davis the next day.

“None of us were satisfied with how the Northwestern game went. We knew we couldn’t go into another game playing like we just had,” freshman defender Hannah Boyer said.

Though IU had to play the Aggies the next day, during the meeting, the Hoosiers discussed the Iowa Hawkeyes’ visit to Bloomington.

“We said, ‘You know, we’re going to take a couple of days off and regroup,’” IU coach Amy Robertson said. “We have to get that first Big Ten win. We’re going to prepare as strong as we can for Iowa, who comes in on Friday, and figure out what things we can achieve in this game.”

IU will face Iowa at 3:30 p.m. Friday at the IU Field Hockey Field.

Robertson described how her team had to improve.

“They need to all get on the same page and set some goals as a team that they’re going to put their stamp on in the UC Davis game,” she said.

On Saturday, the Hoosiers proved their resilience by creating more opportunities offensively. The team discussed in their meeting how they would add potency to their offensive attack.

“One of our goals was to have double-digits in shots on goal,” sophomore forward Shareyna Chang said. “When we got in the circle, we would be able to tell each other, ‘Take a shot!’ That really helped us building our offense. Everyone knew that we were working on getting shots on goal.”

The Hoosiers are looking to build off their victory to get in the win column for conference play.

“Going off that game against UC Davis, we still aren’t satisfied,” Boyer said. “That is going to be really beneficial for us because we have a Big Ten game on Friday. We want to go out there and keep up everything we did in the UC Davis game, but take it to another level.”