Electric IU offense to be tested by Buckeyes

The IU football team played in front of almost 53,000 fans last Saturday in a sellout at Memorial Stadium, and some IU players called it the best home atmosphere they had ever seen.

This Saturday, the Hoosiers will take on No. 2 Ohio State in front of a crowd twice that size.

The game will kick off at noon at Ohio Stadium in Columbus, Ohio.

For the Hoosiers (3-1, 0-1), a key to slowing the Buckeyes may be in IU’s offensive line.

That line, which has allowed only four sacks this season, will have what may be its toughest test of the year Saturday.

The Buckeyes (5-0, 1-0) feature a 4-3 defense that has been touted as one of the best in college football. The unit’s ability to disrupt the quarterback is one reason why the team is ranked No. 2 in the country.

“They’re so fundamentally sound,” said IU tackles and tight ends coach Kyle Conner. “They’re always where they’re supposed to be in their scheme. They’re never out of their gap, and they play hard every single play to the whistle.”

Senior defensive tackle Cameron Heyward anchors the Buckeyes’ defensive line. Heyward, who had the option to enter the NFL Draft last season with high chances of being a first-round pick, instead chose to stay at school and haunt opposing offensive lineman with his quick pursuit to the ball carrier.

IU true freshman Harrison Scott simulated the role of Heyward in practice this week, even wearing Heyward’s No. 97.

Matching up against Heyward will be IU left tackle Andrew McDonald who has been fairly successful protecting IU senior quarterback Ben Chappell’s blind side all year.

“I’ve watched him on film, and he’s got some fast first moves, but I feel like I can get after him,” McDonald said. “He comes off the ball and gets his hands to your chest, but I feel like I’m prepared.”

Heyward is the leader of a unit that has stopped its first five opponents. The Buckeye defense allows 14.2 points per game, which ranks 12th nationally and second in the Big Ten behind Iowa.

This defense is allowing 242 yards per game, which ranks them fifth nationally.
For the IU offense, the Hoosiers will enter the Horseshoe with an offense averaging 39.8 points per game, which is 13th-best in the country.

Chappell ranks first in the Big Ten with 342.5 passing yards per game.

IU sophomore running back Darius Willis has aided the passing attack by improving his blitz pickup out of the backfield. While Willis may not get as many touches as most feature backs do, he said he has embraced his blocking role in the offense.

Willis said he is well aware of the challenge the Hoosiers’ pass protection will face against Ohio State.

“Their defensive line is probably one of the best I’ve ever seen,” Willis said. “They come hard every snap. That’s a great front seven that they have.”

One of the adjustments the Hoosiers made in practice this week was to switch to a silent snap count.

The commonly used NFL technique will allow the Hoosiers offensive line and Chappell to communicate without dealing with the noise of 102,000 screaming Buckeye fans.

Another adjustment the Hoosiers will have to accommodate is filling the hole left by the absence of senior offensive tackle James Brewer, who is sidelined with a knee injury. Junior Justin Pagan will replace Brewer in the starting lineup.

Although the loss of Brewer takes away one of the offensive leaders, Chappell said he is looking forward to testing the Buckeye defense.

“I am sure they will be ready to stop our passing game and anxious to stop our offense,” Chappell said. “The offense goes as the offensive line goes, there is no question about that.”