8th Congressional District candidates: on the issues

The 8th Congressional District is located in the western half of the state and includes portions of southern and central Indiana.

The major cities within its boundaries are Terre Haute and Evansville. It is currently represented by Democratic U.S. Representative Brad Ellsworth, who is now a candidate for U.S. Senate.

Republicans are predicted to gain the 8th District congressional seat, according to The New York Times.

Neither candidate was available for comment. All of the following information has been gathered from candidates’ websites and voting records.

Trent Van Haaften (D)

Van Haaften is currently a member of the Indiana House of Representatives and attorney for Bamberger, Forman, Oswald & Hahn, LLP. He has had the seat since 2004.

Prior to his election to the state legislature, Van Haaften was the Posey County Prosecutor. He also serves as the chairman of the Posey County Democratic Party.

Economy
Van Haaften will support tax credits for small businesses that create jobs in the U.S. and speaks against free trade policies that he says encourage businesses to outsource jobs.

A statement from Van Haaften’s campaign website said, “The promise of so-called free trade has only meant that our jobs are free for the taking by foreign countries. Trent believes it’s time for fair trade.”

He believes no business is too big to fail and that government needs to severely cut its spending.

Education
Van Haaften’s education platform includes increased funding for Indiana schools and reduced college education costs.

“Trent will fight to make college affordable by expanding the availability of grants and student loans,” his website stated.

He also said local government should make decisions regarding education, not the federal government.

National Security

Van Haaften believes in a hasty end to military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. He said the United States’ role in Iraq has ended and as soon as the Taliban is defeated, its role in Afghanistan will have ended too.

He also discusses economic sanctions on Iran as being important for national security.

“That country (Iran) already threatens Israel, the Middle East and parts of Europe with its advanced surface-to-surface missile technology,” Van Haaften said.

Gay Rights
Van Haaften’s website mentions nothing about gay rights and his voting record includes no votes on the subject.

Abortion
Van Haaften identifies himself as pro-life, except in cases of rape, incest or when the mother’s health is threatened. He also opposes any government funding of abortions.

Source: www.trentforcongress.com

Larry Bucshon (R)

Bucshon, a doctor, currently serves as the president of Ohio Valley HeartCare.

Economy
Bucshon says his economic policy plans are primarily to cut taxes and reduce government intervention in the economy. He plans to stop distribution of TARP funds and proposes making unemployment benefits tax free.

“I will pursue well-reasoned, responsible, long-term economic policies that focus on reducing our tax burden and encouraging investment, spurring innovation across all sectors of our economy,” he said.

Bucshon also said he opposes any tax increase on new spending.

Education
Bucshon’s website said nothing about his opinions on education policy, and he has no voting record.

National Security
Bucshon’s website did not state his opinions on national security. He has no voting record.

Gay Rights
Bucshon’s website does not state his stance on gay rights issues, and he has no voting record.

Abortion
Bucshon identified himself as pro-life unless it is required to save the life of the mother.

He said he will deny federal funds for any abortions or organizations that support abortions.

Source: www.buchsonforcongress.com