2nd Congressional District candidates: on the issues

Indiana’s 2nd Congressional District is in the north-central portion of the state and includes South Bend. The seat is currently represented by Democrat Joe Donnelly.

Before Donnelly, the seat was held by Republicans.

The 2nd District race between Donelly and his Republican opponent Jackie Walorski has been considered a tossup.

Joe Donnelly (D)

Donnelly is the incumbent of the Indiana 2nd District seat for the U.S. House of Representatives and is a small business owner as well as an attorney.

Before that, he was President of the Mishawaka Marian High School Board of Education, and a member of the Indiana State Election Board.

Economy
He said he supports legislation that would close tax loopholes that he said would make it easier for American companies to outsource their labor overseas.

Donnelly also said he supports additional small business tax cuts.

“We are starting to see economic progress, but we can always do more to create the conditions necessary for our small businesses to succeed,” he said.

To combat the debt crisis, Donnelly said he supports Pay-As-You-Go budgeting, which involves using funds that already exist within government, rather than borrowing.

Education
Donnelly touted his experience as a former school board president.

“I pledge to continue to work hard at the federal level to ensure that Hoosier schools and teachers have the resources they need to provide our children with a quality education,” Donnelly said.

He voted to expand the Federal Pell Grant Program, lower student loan interest rates and supported legislation that he said saved teaching jobs.

National Security
Donnelly noted the importance of maintaining an active military force and said he plans to vote to ensure the military has the tools, training and leadership it needs to do its job.

Gay Rights
Donnelly’s official campaign positions do not discuss gay rights, but in May 2010, he voted against a bill that would repeal the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell military policy after military review and approval.

In 2007, he voted against amending the definition of hate crimes to include those related to gender identity and sexual orientation.

Abortion
Donnelly identified himself as pro-life.

“I have always and will continue to vote according to my faith and my conscience on life issues,” he said.

Source: www.donnellyforuscongress.com

Jackie Walorski (R)

Walorski is the Assistant Minority Floor Leader for the Indiana State House of Representatives. She has worked as a college administrator and for various nonprofit organizations.

Economy
Walorski said she promises to fight against unnecessarily expensive government regulations, particularly on small businesses, and also against legislation that she believes will kill jobs, like cap and trade regulations.

“We cannot spend our way out of this recession,” she said.

Walorski listed among her accomplishments as a State Representative a vote to create the Indiana Economic Development Corporation.

Walorski said among her other plans are cutting all taxes, and she said she opposes the value-added tax.

Education
Walorski did not discuss plans or proposals for education policy on her campaign website.

National Security
Walorski did not discuss plans or proposals on the subject of national security on her campaign website. While she was a member of the state legislature, there were no votes related to the military.

Gay Rights
Walorski did not mention gay rights on her campaign website. While she served in the state legislature, there were no votes on that subject.

Abortion
Walorski identified herself as pro-life. She has voted against taxpayer support of organizations like Planned Parenthood.

“I don’t think taxpayers should pay for abortions in this state or this nation,” she said.

Source: www.standwithjackie.com