Third human case of West Nile virus hits Ind.

They swarm you, bite you and suck your blood. But they can leave you with more than an itchy red welt.

Officials of the Indiana State Department of Health have reported a third case of West Nile virus in a human in Allen County, Ind.

All three of the human cases have been discovered in Allen County.

The West Nile virus has been found in 40 Indiana counties, including Monroe County. Most of the cases have been found in mosquito pools — shallow water that serve as breeding grounds for mosquitoes.

A similar virus that is also carried by mosquitoes, the eastern equine encephalitis virus, has been found in Adams County.

Ken Severson of the ISDH said both viruses cause fever, headaches, body aches and nausea. Severe forms of both viruses may also cause loss of coordination and seizures.

A person who is bitten by an infected mosquito may show symptoms from 3 to 15 days after the bite. 

State officials are warning residents about the West Nile virus spreading through the state. The ISDH website has several links to prevention methods, as does the Allen County Department of Health website.

“Use insect repellent that contains DEET, picaridin or oil of lemon eucalyptus,” Severson said. “If possible, wear long sleeves and long pants, especially if you’re walking in the woods.”

Dr. Jennifer House, veterinary epidemiologist at the ISDH, also published several prevention methods through the ISDH, including methods to rid properties of mosquito breeding grounds.

All mosquitoes require standing water in the first stages of their life, according to the Allen County Health Department. Removing these from your property will greatly decrease your risk for West Nile or EEEV.

“There are lots of places around your home that can be breeding grounds for mosquitoes,” Severson said.

Any container that has water in it can be become a haven for mosquitoes, Severson said.

House’s mosquito breeding ground prevention methods include cleaning out gutters and discarding old tires and containers.

“We’re reminding the public to stay vigilant in protecting themselves against the West Nile virus, EEEV and other mosquito-borne illnesses by avoiding mosquito bites,” House said in a press release.