Latina artist to unveil paintings at IMUG for Hispanic Heritage Month

From IDS Reports

Students studying at Starbucks in the Indiana Memorial Union will soon have a new,
colorful distraction.

B.E. Gutierrez, a young Latina artist, created a series of paintings titled “My Fire” for her exhibition in the IMU Gallery, or IMUG.

The gallery opening will be at 6 p.m. Friday in the IMUG. The exhibit will be on display until Oct. 15, the last day of Hispanic Heritage Month.

For the  event, the Latino Graduate Student Association has teamed up with Union Board, the Multi-Cultural Greek Council, the Office of Diversity Education, the Black Graduate Student Association and the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Multicultural Affairs.

LGSA treasurer Chris Medrano said she wanted to bring Gutierrez because of her youth and talent. Guiterrez is a 2007 graduate of the University of Arkansas, but she is a native of El Salvador.

“With the recent attention on immigration, this is a good way to highlight immigrants and how they contribute to our country,” Medrano said.

Guiterrez’s art not only addresses being an immigrant in the United States but also the loss of life and natural wonders, including oceans and sunsets.

Gutierrez had only been in the United States for three years when she decided to enter college. She said this transition and all of her life experiences have influenced her paintings.

“My paintings have really bright colors and a lot of symbols,” Guiterrez said. It’s kind of modern surrealism and a lot about storytelling.”

Gutierrez said this is the first exhibit outside of Arkansas she can attend.

“I don’t think there has ever been a young Latina artist who’s displayed here,” Medrano said. “She is the first.”