IU revamps defense with pro-style 3-4 formation

Scheme added to new offense installed in 2009

IU Football Practice

The IU football team already has a lot of new faces on defense.

Now, those new faces must also master a new defensive scheme, the 3-4.

Traditionally a pro-style defense, the 3-4 features three-down linemen and four linebackers, taking away a lineman and adding another linebacker. Instead of dwelling on the complications of learning another defense, the unit has taken a liking to running it in spring and summer practices.

The new scheme opens up a variety of possibilities that has players buzzing.

“Speaking from the defensive players, we’re really excited about it,” senior linebacker Tyler Replogle said. “It allows us to get some of those athletic defensive ends and linebackers in — like a Darius Johnson or a Kevin Bush — to send them on some blitzes so it frees up some linebackers, and it allows them to get in and get some sacks and (tackles-for-loss).”

While the speed on the ends is critical to running a successful 3-4, having a nose tackle to plug up the middle is equally important.

Sophomore defensive tackle Larry Black, Jr., looks to fill that role.

Black, who burst onto the Big Ten scene last year, earned a spot on the Sporting News freshman All-America and All-Big Ten teams.

Co-defensive Coordinator Brian George said he has a lot of confidence in having Black take on a couple of offensive linemen.

“A big reason of why we did this was because we knew we had some big guys on the inside that we felt pretty good about coming out of last year, and we found a way to get more of those bigger body guys on the field at once,” George said.

Although the defense has gradually incorporated the 3-4 throughout the spring and summer, they have also continued to practice their base 4-3 scheme. The coaching staff has made it clear that neither scheme will be used exclusively, forcing opposing teams to plan for both  and adding the element of confusion.

“We thought that making the offense prepare for both a 4-3 and a 3-4 will make it more difficult for them not only in preparation but during game time. Going back and forth between the two will confuse the offense a bit,” Co-defensive Coordinator Joe Palcic said.

The defense also hit the film room to better understand the 3-4. The Hoosiers spent a portion of the off season watching film on NFL defenses that run the scheme. The top five teams in total defense in the NFL last year all ran a base 3-4.

The success of the revived scheme has also made its way into some of nation’s most historic programs. Both Texas and Alabama ran the 3-4 frequently on their way to the 2010 BCS National Championship Game.

All schemes aside, the Hoosiers’ defensive unit knows it must improve on its 31.8 points per game allowed in 2009 to be successful.

The first test comes Thursday against a Towson offense that averaged just more than 13 points per game in 2009.

The new-look defense looks to prove to the Hoosier faithful that it has a new soul on the defensive side of the ball.

“They’re flying around, playing with enthusiasm, getting to the ball and as a result, creating turnovers,” IU coach Bill Lynch said. “That’s the way I envision this defense playing.”