IU professors line the shelves

Check out a list of recent book titles written by members of IU faculty.

TITLE “Dynamics of Connection: How Evolution and Biology Create Caregiving and Attachment”

AUTHOR David C. Bell, sociology professor at IU-Purdue University Indianapolis

In his new book, which discusses both emotional and logical attachment, Bell uses biology to examine how families and intimate relationships work. The book starts by analyzing the evolution of caregiving through reptiles, mammals and humans. The book’s inspiration came from the birth of Bell’s first child.

TITLE “Newcomers, Outsiders and Insiders: Immigrants and American Racial Politics in the Early Twenty-first Century”

AUTHOR Yvette Alex-Assensoh, IU political science professor and dean of the Office of Women’s Affairs, along with three co-authors

Alex-Assensoh and her colleagues look at how immigration has changed in recent years and how those changes have affected the assimilation of immigrants. The book focuses on the influx of immigrants from Latin America, Asia and Africa, which has put a strain on U.S. public opinion.

TITLE “Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives”

AUTHOR Tom French, IU Riley Endowed Chair in Journalism

After six years of in-depth reporting on the animals and care takers at Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa, Fla., the Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist has produced a book that tells the stories of the animals and keepers whose lives are intertwined. The book is a spin-off of a series of stories about the zoo French wrote for the St. Petersburg Times.

TITLE “The Spatial Humanities: GIS and the Future of Humanities Scholarship”

AUTHOR David J. Bodenhamer, history professor at IU-Purdue University Indianapolis, along with two co-authors.

Bodenhamer’s book takes a close look at geographic information systems, GIS and the influence of geographical space on human behavior and
cultural development.

GIS uses technology to help humanities scholars find relationships of memory, artifact and experience that exist in a certain place across time.