Sunday, Oct. 6

sports volleyball

IU aims to pack ‘Red Out’ game

Volleyball

The Athletic Departments at IU and Purdue are going all out for today’s in-state rivalry match.

While the Boilermakers are sending down buses of students for the contest at University Gym, the undefeated IU volleyball team might get the fan support they need as well.

The IU Office of First Year Experience Programs  worked with IU Athletics Marketing to have first-year students “Paint the U-Gym Red” at 7 p.m..

“We want to educate first-year students on all opportunities that IU has to offer,” said Emily Arth, assistant director of first year experiences.

IU will feature continuous shuttle service to the gym from residence halls, pizza from Bucceto’s and free red IU T-shirts to the first 200 new students who arrive.

“It is important for our fans to support a team that is undefeated,” said Jonathan Benedek, an employee of IU Athletics Marketing.

IU coach Sherry Dunbar also said fan support is important.

“The more people appreciate our players the way I do, I think the better it is,” Dunbar said. “I think if we do well, we can generate more fans.”

Attending the match would be a great opportunity for students to help their volleyball team stay undefeated, freshman defensive specialist Caitlin Hansen said.

“I think it will show people that they need to come out and support us because it will show them how much heart and fight we have on the court,” Hansen said.

Even though the match will air live on the Big Ten Network, the Hoosiers want to play in front of a packed house.

“This is why these kids want to play at Indiana — because of the tradition, the fans and because it‘s Indiana,” Dunbar said.

Benedek added that fans will need to bring an equal amount of enthusiasm to the gym.

“We know that IU will bring their A-game, and we want to bring our A-game as well in support of the team,” he said.

The Hoosiers will also have support from Athletics Director Fred Glass, who plans to attend the match.

“Fred talked to the girls today and will be there on Wednesday,” Dunbar said. “He expresses how important the volleyball program is to the University and the Athletics Department.”

Dunbar said having the Hoosier fans at the game is very beneficial to the team’s play.
“It’s really exciting to see people excited about a sport we love very much, and we put our hearts into this sport,” she said.