HBO Def Jam poet to visit IU

Poetry Slam

Union Board’s Performing Arts and Canvas committees will present their free monthly spoken-word poetry slam at 7:30 p.m. today in the Indiana Memorial Union’s Whittenberger Auditorium.

The slam host and judge will be veteran spoken-word poet Shihan Van Clief from HBO’s “Russell Simmons Presents Def Poetry.”

“We were very interested in bringing Shihan to IU,” senior LaKeisha Reese, director of the Union Board Arts Committee, said. “It’s a great chance for our students to perform for a professional.”

Reese said she hopes for a big turnout because Van Clief relates to college students with his poetry.

Van Clief has competed in and won many poetry slams. He has appeared on TV and in magazines in the US and abroad, and he has released two CDs of his work.

Anyone can come for free to the preshow workshops at 5:30 p.m. today in the State Room East of the IMU. Van Clief will speak on creative writing for poetry. Afterward, the aspiring poets can compete in the slam at 7:30 p.m.

Reese also said there will be free food at the event.

After three winners are chosen, Van Clief will finish the night off with a reading of his own poetry.

“I watched his work growing up,” senior and Union Board PAC member Deslynn McKissick said. “It’s going to be something else to see him in real life.”

Both McKissick and Reese want many students to take advantage of this rare opportunity.

“I hope this workshop inspires people on campus to be more creative,” McKissick said.

Reese said this event is not just for poets, but anyone who is interested in spoken-word.

“Having this opportunity to work with Shihan in a creative writing setting will be something unique,” senior and Union Board Advertising Director Kris Minter said. “It’s not every day you get to work with someone from HBO’s Def Jam.”